Whatsit?

OK Goodman, here's your chance to get out of the free Okra dinner next year @ IW......

Can you tell me what this is?

Kibble probably knows, and if Fabry wants to play, I bet he might know too. I just thought I'd let my man Brian go double or nothing. That's double or nothing, BG.

(1890's building, very interesting inspection)

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif whatsit1.jpg

48.36 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif whasit3.jpg

57.59 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif whatsit2.jpg

58.17 KB

Ahh, the heck w/Goodman.....

This place was the neighborhood carriage house in 1890. It's about 3 minutes from my house in Evanston.

The "freight elevator" was to carry the carriages to the 2nd fl. where they were stored; horses were kept on the first floor. I see a lot of old freight elevators, even a few remaining hand cranked dumbwaiters, but never a complete carriage elevator.

This sucker still works like a charm; I ran it up and down myself. Runs on waxed ways, and is tensioned w/some old springs that look like they were hammered by hand. It's all held together w/tapered pins and mortise joints.

You oughta see the truss in this joint; giant 18"x18" timbers, notched into the bottom cord w/an iron shoe, tensioned with 1 1/2" iron threaded rods. I've got a ton of pics, and am still sorting through them. I think the customer is gonna go for it; I've already put in the request for "hanging around rights" when the get into the renovation, and they said sure. [:-bonc01]

They want to "save" the carriage lift; not sure how, but at least they get it for the time being.

Sorry to be so late checking in. It's obviously a freight elevator, but I never would have gotten the "carriage" part.

Originally posted by kurt

OK Goodman, here's your chance to get out of the free Okra dinner next year @ IW......

Get out of it? I'm looking forward to it. Besides, when the Saints cream the Bears next season I'll get it back. [:P]

Brian G.

Optimist [^]

I had a job inspecting many funeral homes a few years back. Several were old mansions that had been converted. I saw an elevator like this that was used to move caskets from the first floor to the basement and then back up when they were needed.

I agree, Brian. The company will be well worth the dinner. BTW, it was nice to see Manning win a Super Bowl ring wasn't it?? I felt so good for Archie after all those great years he put into the Saints.

Originally posted by Brian G.

Sorry to be so late checking in. It's obviously a freight elevator, but I never would have gotten the "carriage" part.

Originally posted by kurt

Get out of it? I'm looking forward to it. Besides, when the Saints cream the Bears next season I'll get it back. [:P]

Brian G.

Optimist [^]