Happy Saint Paddy's Day!!!

Yesterday's ice storms (in the Northeast) have left me stranded at a motel in Irving, TX to celebrate the holiday with the green-haired folks at a neighboring Bennigan's. It is something short of martyrdom.

Remember kids: "Pog Mo Thoin" does not mean "Please good sir, might you pour us another round?"

As an aside to Mike O'H, I learned some Irish under duress as a child. I've forgotten all but a couple of phrases today. It's a very difficult language for english speakers to learn, and if you don't have folks to speak it with, I don't see how anyone could do it. If I wanted to learn Irish Gaelic, I'd find a buddy to take a class with me.

Erin Go Bra-less,

Jimmy

Originally posted by Jim Morrison

Yesterday's ice storms have left me stranded at a motel in Irving, TX to celebrate the holiday with the green-haired folks at a neighboring Bennigan's. It is something short of martyrdom. ...

Pls note the "ice storms" were NOT in the DFW area.

Weather is simply fantastic! Mid to upper 60s, bright sun, blue skies.

But with Jimmy being not where he was planning on being ... just sucks no matter the weather.

While Jimmy was enjoying some 'brew' I was in the middle of a 4-plex inspection in a "less than spectacular" part of town. Lot of JPGs, quick notes, doors closed in face as tenants denied access and guys in development wondering 'what is he about' !!

I'd rather be having some green beer ... at least today on this inspection.

By pure chance today is my and my wife's wedding anniversary (as is every March 17th). After a long time together we haven't done exciting things of late, but this year I bought new wedding rings to replace the originals that have been absent since our first year of marriage (another story involving a pawn shop)

I remarked to the salesperson at the jewlery store that for a little less money I could have a new 12 inch sliding compound miter saw. I think she was disgusted at the comment. It was just an observation and I finished paying for the rings anyway.

My wife was/is happy with the rings and tomorrow we'll go exchange them for something she likes better.

Anyway... She bought me the 12 inch sliding compound miter saw.

We have Maker's Mark in the cabinet, and we're going to dinner...it just doesn't get any better than this.

Chad, good to see you're now in a better place than your pawn shop era.

I should point out that power tools aren't always a romantic gift. Many years ago I bought myself a bandsaw on my wife's birthday. She didn't seem to appreciate my explanation that it was to make stuff for her. She does still refer to it as her bandsaw.

I have the Hitachi 15 inch. I've never been happy with it, but I admit the new stuff looks very nice and my brother-in-law has the ten inch Hitachi and it works well. The one thing that bugs me about the Hitachi is the sawdust gathers in the detents and you have to constantly clean the table or you can't turn the saw to 45 degrees.

She bought the Rigid, but it may get exchanged for the DeWalt. The Festool is the best one out there but it's nearly 1200 dollars

You know, Rigid has really upped the ante in the dollar vs. value dept. I think they make some really nice cheap tools. Dewalt is a constant, and I like yellow.

I had the old Hitachi 10" which was a miracle when it first came out, but I've kind of lost touch w/current models.

Kurt,

I have the Hitachi C12LCH. It's been a great saw for my applications. My brother in law has the Hitachi 10" slider, which he uses daily - he loves it.

The fact that I bought mine brand new on eBay for less than $150 certainly helps my appreciation for the saw!! They retail for about $600 here in Ontario.

-Brad

The Rigid, feature for feature, out does just about all the others as far as power, capacity, table size, and warranty. The arbor has zero run out, the slides are smooth, the motor and guard are way up there out of the way and you can set 1/4 degree out of the detents w/o a trouble. Here's my main issues: It weighs 84 lbs and it's a Rigid. All the others are around 60lbs and names I have some faith in. I may just keep it and give it a whirl.