Replacing a metal lintel question

Terence McCann

Take apart the brick to expose the lintel, remove the rusted junk, install new lintel w/thru wall flashing, weeps, & wicks, and reinstall brick neat & clean. Qualify the mason to determine what mortar they're going to use before you give them the job.

In Chicago, about $1000-1200, IF the mason's doing a bunch of them so they can get a volume discount going. I don't know anyone who's interested in doing a single window lintel for under $2500.

Of course, there's folks that'll do it for $750, but you end up w/crap.

Thanks Kurt.

Actually it's the entire west wall, every window, that is going to need a overhaul. If you look where the entrance door is you can see a horizontal crack and bowing in the wall. Too bad, the house has a lot of personality.

What type of mortar would you use for a home that was built in 1929? I'm sure Cleveland and Chicago are quite the same when it comes to construction of older brick homes. The mortar looks very granulated, very small stones are noticeable.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 2.jpg

159.75 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 3.jpg

206.83 KB

Originally posted by Terence McCann

Thanks Kurt.

Actually it's the entire west wall, every window, that is going to need a overhaul. If you look where the entrance door is you can see a horizontal crack and bowing in the wall. Too bad, the house has a lot of personality.

What type of mortar would you use for a home that was built in 1929? I'm sure Cleveland and Chicago are quite the same when it comes to construction of older brick homes. The mortar looks very granulated, very small stones are noticeable.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 2.jpg

159.75 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 3.jpg

206.83 KB

You need to experiment with the mortar and pigments to get it to match. Unfortunately, it typically takes time for the grout to cure and become the real color. If you are going to err, I feel it is better to go a little darker.