Old panel used as junction box

MMustola

A new panel was installed about 3 feet away from the original panel. The old panel was used as a junction box to extend all the branch circuits into the new panel. I know that this is not a problem. Only the hots and neutrals were spliced and extended to the new panel. The grounds still terminated in the old panel. I recommended that the grounds be extended into the new panel as well. The city inspector was called out to look at it and he thinks the grounding is fine. I looked through the IRC and can not find a reference that would apply. Can any one help me. if I'm wrong fine.

Mark,

I had a similar situation a couple of months ago and I thought the same as you.

But Hansen and Abernathy reminded me that the purpose for the ground is primarily to protect from lightning. The panels are bonded through the neutral, and that's fine. They also mentioned that requirements are different in lightning intense areas. (I hope I got that right - I've learned so much from them, I don't want them to curse the student.)