ASHI candidate membership

Hey Friends,

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: ASHI is the worst HI organization ever conceived,- except for all of the others.

Find me a Katen, Sterling, Loden, Hansen, Jowers, Chalfen, Prickett, Sutton, Mitenbuler, Cramer, or a Hoytt in the other orgs. You can't. The home inspection Hall of Fame is made up of ASHI members. -That's just how it is.

My advice? If you want to join an HI org, find one where you'll rub shoulders with the best of the best. That's how you get better.

That's what I did and why I did it,

Jim Morrison

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No argument there, Jim. But that doesn't mean it can't be better.

Originally posted by Jim Morrison

Hey Friends,

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: ASHI is the worst HI organization ever conceived,- except for all of the others.

Find me a Katen, Sterling, Loden, Hansen, Jowers, Chalfen, Prickett, Sutton, Mitenbuler, Cramer, or a Hoytt in the other orgs. You can't. The home inspection Hall of Fame is made up of ASHI members. -That's just how it is.

My advice? If you want to join an HI org, find one where you'll rub shoulders with the best of the best. That's how you get better.

That's what I did and why I did it,

Jim Morrison

Gary is right. Where ASHI can be improved, it ought to be. If it gets overtaken by another org, I'm joining that one the following day.

We're not talking about religion here: I just want to be among the best in my field. ASHI has been at the top of our heap for 30 years, but when the pecking order changes, and another org is on top, you'd best believe I'll be joining that one.

Originally posted by kurt

I think TIJA is a fine idea.

The model ASHI has embraced simply isn't sustainable.

It's an old model that has been patched over and over to fit the changes in the profession and the personalities of those on the political train. With all of it's faults, ASHI is still the best choice or really the only choice I can see at this time.

1) Dearly. It's cost you dearly. What exactly, I can't say.......

2) $12.84, maybe $13 tops.

Professional society stuff is soooo goofy in the HI biz it's gotten to the point of parody.

I'm going to the ASHI Great Lakes Chapter thing in Grand Rapids next weekend, and hope to reinvigorate my interest in such things. Hopefully, they'll let me do the peer review. See if I've got any chops.

With all of it's faults, ASHI is still the best choice or really the only choice I can see at this time.

Yeah, basically.

It's a mistake to hang too much on it.

They're all sort of weird clubby deals w/limited application in the current world.

A few benefits, a little PR, educational opportunities, and if possible, minimal embarassment. It's all I'm looking for.

Originally posted by kurt

A lawn mower in GR......? You'd come from upstate NY to Michigan for a lawn mower?

I mean, I hope you do, but....(?)

Ha!

For most people it would be hard. But Chad, you see, is an inventor. It's a little known fact that the transporter used in the Star Trek series is based on one of Chad's inventions.

Don't freak out when he suddenly materializes out of thin air right next to you Kurt. [:-alien]

OT - OF!!!

M.

Captain,

I'd put it a little differently. The folks who run ASHI weren't paying attention to the members and the market, and created a vacuum that Gromicko was only too happy to exploit. Fair play. NACHI made ASHI take a good hard look at the way they've been running things, and believe me, some changes were made. Sometimes we learn more form our failures than our successes, no?

But I don't think HI orgs are all that different than HI firms. There are high end HI firms and bottom feeders. We should have expected HI orgs to reflect that as well.

Jimmy

I have been an ASHI member since 1993 an I am very proud of that. The educational opportunities at the National and chapter levels are the best out there. When I was first starting out many old guard members gave me help, advise, and encouragement.

When I became a certified member I was very proud of the achievement because it meant something. I did not look canndidate status as being a second class citizen, I looked at it a stepping stone. Too many people just want to pay a fee an get a credential.

I do not see anything wrong with a multi-tier system. If being a candidate is so bad, people should work harder to become a member. The hardest part when you are new is completing 250 inspection I know that this takes time. That is what makes ASHI membership stand apart from other organizations.

When I get shoppers on the phone asking why they should chose me instead of someone else it's easy to explain the difference between ASHI, other organizations, and inspectors who join no organizations.

Originally posted by Jim Morrison

Captain,

I'd put it a little differently. The folks who run ASHI weren't paying attention to the members and the market, and created a vacuum that Gromicko was only too happy to exploit.

Jimmy

Jimmy

You put it more politically correct that me. But the results are the same.

Captain

When I get shoppers on the phone asking why they should chose me instead of someone else it's easy to explain the difference between ASHI, other organizations, and inspectors who join no organizations.

Humor me Mark. How do you explain the difference?

There are just as many exceptions to every statement you can make as there is evidence that belonging proves one to be a better inspector.

All of us have read a report so egregiously wrong that it makes us shudder (in Katens' case, shutter).

Possibly the worst statement I ever read was made by a very experienced inspector (ten gazillion inspections and all the badges and acronyms that go along with ten gazillion inspections)

"The galvanized water supply line is dripping along its length due to the fact that iron pipe is porous"

...and here I thought it was from condensation.

Belonging to a trade association isn't a credential any more than a NYS license.

Couldn't get in on the conversation yesterday - they actually ran me out of the office to do a real inspection!

I enjoyed reading the responses and came away with a renewed sense that this business will ultimately need to be unified. For the inspector that is considering an affiliation, I believe ASHI to be the best choice - but not the only choice.

Mark M recently did an inspection on a house where my wife was the selling agent. Mark M is an ASHI member and followed the ASHI SOP and COE. My wife knew what to expect from him during the inspection. She was impressed. The buyer could have had any one of over a hundred inspectors do the inspection, but they knew they would get a good inspection by using an ASHI inspector and asking another ASHI member (me) what they knew about him.

Gary, thanks for the kind words! Report verification is not as simple as some would make it. I can and will help in any way I can, even if you don't like what I say.

Chad, on your way to Grand Rapids you pass within 1/2mi of my office and within a mile of my house. I have a wonderful collection of treasured lawnmowers - I just like to hear them run! My 1973 Flymo is always good for a laugh!

Kurt, you know the GLC of ASHI is the most diverse collection of inspector souls out there. The educational opportunity available in Grand Rapids next week is the best there is anywhere.

There are thousands of inspectors with the ASHI credential, so you will find some that are not to your liking. But, like it or not, the real pioneers and mostof the leaders in the industry are ASHI members.

Originally posted by MMustola

?

I'm different? Omeyegod! Wuddueyedo? Is there a cure?

Been there and done that - 4 years with NAHI and then 4 years with ASHI. Other than the fact I made some pretty good friends and had a discussion board to kick back with them on, I didn't get a whole lot out of the experience.

I did, however, get to watch members of each diss each other on a regular basis - mostly without any knowledge of how the other organization operated - and got to see my board of directors throw away $1M of the membership's dues in pursuit of folly.

When people ask me why I don't belong to one of these alleged "professional" organizations, that's what I tell 'em.

When they all stop fighting with each other and learn to work together for the good of the profession, I may consider re-joining all, one or none.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Chad,

I like to sell ASHI to prospective clients whether they choose me or not. I tell them they should at least use a ASHI member because they have passed a proctored test, completed a minimum number of inspections, an are required to maintain 20 hours of continuing education a year. Inspectors who belong to other organizations do not have to meet these standards.

Just because an inspector does not belong to ASHI does not mean they are not a great inspector, our market is flooded with new inspectors making all sorts of false claims about their experience and credentials. Most clients only know what they are told by the inspector. ASHI is a great tool to show clients that you are a professional who seeks out the best education and most stringent credentials.

As far as candidates are concerned, There is nothing wrong with them telling customers that they are working towards certified member status. They can sell the fact that they have passed the NHIE, participate in continuing educational opportunities, and emphasize whatever it is that they feel makes them unique.

As to the ASHI candidate and associate designations- how do they determine who is a good inspector and who is a bad one?

I was talking to a gentleman who has been in the business for 15 years (an ASHI member). He was floored to know that I operate all the windows I can access, walk the roof and that I take digital pictures. To make a long story short, length of time in the business does not make you a good inspector. There must be many long time inspectors that have been doing it half assed for many years and still carry the ASHI associate member designation. I also have some inspectors in this area think that if they belong to ASHI, they are God. My opinion is that length of time in the business is no substitute for skills, ability to articulate a point(write a good report) and business smarts.

IMHO.

Carl Johnson

Originally posted by MMustola

ASHI is a great tool to show clients that you are a professional who seeks out the best education and most stringent credentials.

Hmm,

I know of a long-time ASHI "member" out here who is borderline illiterate and can't write a 5-sentence paragraph that makes any sense to anyone. Don't even get me started on his spelling.

Yeah, I know, I'm no shining star of grammatical correctness either, but where were the entry standards for this guy? We're professional report writers for krissake!

Seems like a truly professional association would have caught that and said, "Uh, sorry Bud, but you just don't have the goods."

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Mike, I have no argument with you at ALL! I do have a bit of trouble with those that have not even been there or done that.

Every one of these conversations degrades into exception or pickin on the old guys. Frankly, I am the wrong old guy to lump in with the supposed "elite". I have never said ASHI inspectors are better, smarter, etc.. They simply are not. I am not. But, if you want to find a guru or someone that has a passion for inspection - then go to the old guys. Experience is not a cross I bear. Does anyone really think an experienced inspector is better than a new person? Don't be silly, there are old farts that do not even have a clue, but they still have "something" to offer. In my case, I have been wrong more times than some people have been right.

Mike O is the exception and a formidable one at that; he can think, write and reason while chewing gum and that alone sets him and his kind apart. I would love to have him be an ASHI member again because he is a thinker. Can't say all ASHI leaders are as astute. It is the best game in town and I'm sticking to it!

Where is Brian G? We need a tag line for this thread!

I never said being a member of ASHI means you are a good inspector. I said it can be used as a good marketing tool and in my opinion ASHI is the best HI professional society.

The are many good and bad inspectors in all organizations. ASHI is far from perfect. But not joining a HI professional organization because none are perfect is foolish. I say join the one you think is best and be active in it. Join committees and work to make it better.