Garage passage way doors

Is there a regulation that covers which way a garage passage way door, one between the house and the garage, should open?

I normally see them opening into the house but found one opening to the garage.

I also have a similar question with respect to sliding glass doors. Most of the time the slider is to the interior but sometimes its to the exterior. Any regulations? Pros & cons?

Chris, Oregon

Is there a regulation that covers which way a garage passage way door, one between the house and the garage, should open?

I normally see them opening into the house but found one opening to the garage.

No such regulation. I, also, always see them swinging into the garage. So when I built my garage, I installed the door to swing into the house. Call me a rebel.

I also have a similar question with respect to sliding glass doors. Most of the time the slider is to the interior but sometimes its to the exterior. Any regulations? Pros & cons?

That decision was made in the factory. The sill will only shed water in one direction. Sometimes it's one way, sometimes the other.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I can't remember who or when, but somebody told me a long time ago, or maybe I read it somewhere, about having the slider to the exterior, to help form a better seal when the wind would blow against it.

I don't know of any regulation, but I think this method of installation could qualify for a pro...

-Frank

Hi,

When the slider is mounted on the exterior it makes it pretty easy to get into the home. I've had a few homes where the realtor forgot their supra device or forgot to link up and download the daily code and it was pretty simple to lift the door out of the back track in order to get in.

I report it as a security risk.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike