Should I get invasive or non-invasive moist.meter?

Tuan

I like the Protimeter Surveymaster, but its a little pricey for me so I was thinking about maybe starting off with the 'Mini' (invasive) or 'Aquant' (non-invasive) first.

If you had to choose one to start off with which one would you guys use?

Thanks,

Tuan [:-slaphap

I think you should have both and the protimeter is great tool. I use a Tramex moisture encounter plus (pinless) 95% of the time. I have a delmhorst pin type which I end up using alot in attics when I have a question. The pinless types will almost always peg on roof decking. I also use the pin type to backup pinless readings that are suspicous.

Chris, Oregon

My moisture detector is about 5"2" tall and is self-propelled. While I'm doing the exterior, electro-mechanicals and roof and foundation, the base of every wall, the walls around windows and doors, the ceilings, the floors around tubs and toilets, the tub and shower surrounds and every surface in the house is being checked. Usually, after about an hour into the inspection, it informs me that all surfaces have been checked and directs me to every suspect area in the house so that I can re-check suspect areas with my protimeter in radio and pin mode.

It's detected many thousands of dollars worth of stuff that I might have missed otherwise, because I was trying to move as quickly as possible or was being otherwise distracted by the client.

A Picture of the moisture detector is below.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif MoistureDetectorHardAtWork.JPG

31.06 KB

OT - OF!!! [:D]

Mike

My better half can certainly find all the things in my house that need fixin'.

I wonder is I should bring her along on inspections???

(Closer to original thread) I just picked up an EXtech non-invasive moisture meter, but I haven't used it in an inspection yet. I cannot say anything to its usefulness or its durability.

Originally posted by chicago

Come on guys he is on a budget and needs the straight dope.

In reality the pin type may be more useful at the beginning.

If I am wrong correct me.

The straight dope is that you really need both to do the job properly. Each type of meter has a different use.

The pin type is a destructive testing device. Granted it leaves two fairly small holes, but they are still holes. About the only time I use a pin meter is on wood that will not show the marks. The non-invasive scan type will serve you the best.

I agree with Bill,

I had two separate pin-type meters before I bought my Surveymaster. Neither one of them could spot moisture in places that the Surveymaster has. That thing has saved my butt by spotting moisture in places that I had no visual clues and wouldn't have even probed more times then I want to count and Yung has gotten so proficient with it that it's scary.

Yeah, it costs more, but it pays for itself in the very first job where it finds moisture that you would have otherwise missed and could have been liable for with a pin meter.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Originally posted by hausdok

Yeah, it costs more, but it pays for itself in the very first job where it finds moisture that you would have otherwise missed and could have been liable for with a pin meter.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Good point. I think Ill just go ahead and get the Surveymaster just to be safe.

Thanks everyone :)

• 8 years later...

10 year old SurveyMaster is flaky. Goes into error code and "hangs" Cant turn it off or on, just hung in an useable state. I have it set to auto turnoff after a couple of minutes. Leave it alone, it turns off, power it back on and mostly works.

Probably time for a new one. Boss has decided I am going to start doing stucco/efis/manufactured stone inspections so will need one with exterior probes.

Wondering if people still like the GE SurveyMaster or is there some new or better player in the market?

10 year old SurveyMaster is flaky. Goes into error code and "hangs" Cant turn it off or on, just hung in an useable state. I have it set to auto turnoff after a couple of minutes. Leave it alone, it turns off, power it back on and mostly works.

Probably time for a new one. Boss has decided I am going to start doing stucco/efis/manufactured stone inspections so will need one with exterior probes.

Wondering if people still like the GE SurveyMaster or is there some new or better player in the market?

Give it a fresh battery? No kidding, a new battery can sometimes do the trick. I have a 2007 model Proto and it is very reliable. It has the pins under the cap, and that is the handiest model if you get a new one.

There is a remote set of pins that can extend your reach that can be used with it, never have tried that accessory, but it could be used with an extension pole.

Like John says. New batteries will do wonders but you probably knew that.

10 yr old Protimeter? How much product life do you want? My first Protimeter lasted about 8 yrs before it started goofy. I have only owned a Protimeter and knowing its limitations it has been a terrific everyday tool for me.