Stupid Homeowner Tricks Part II

Scottpat

• 3 months later...

Do you guys note about the obvious garage firewall violation when pulldown ladders are installed in garages? I see these fairly often and always explain the potential issue with the client and agent. I also note that the install may predate building codes although removal or installing a proper fire resistant cover is recommended. Many other local guys do not even note these, from what other agents tell me.

The manufacturers of pulldown ladders apparently also do not inform the customer of the hazards of garage installations.

Originally posted by msteger

Do you guys note about the obvious garage firewall violation when pulldown ladders are installed in garages?

Every time.

I see these fairly often and always explain the potential issue with the client and agent. I also note that the install may predate building codes although removal or installing a proper fire resistant cover is recommended.

Stop calling it a "potential issue." Start calling it "wrong." Ambiguity is the enemy of clear communication.

Why all the nonsense about predating building codes? All that does is create more ambiguity.

As for your recommendations, there's nothing in the code about a "fire resistant cover." You're just making that up. What if, in response to your report, they cover the ladder bottom with metal flashing?

Also, you might want to stop calling it a firewall. The word firewall has specific meanings in the world of building codes. In that context, a firewall is not required between a garage and a dwelling.

Many other local guys do not even note these, from what other agents tell me.

Maybe they do, maybe they don't. It shouldn't matter to you.

The manufacturers of pulldown ladders apparently also do not inform the customer of the hazards of garage installations.

Very true. The manufacturers are weasels. They want to sell ladders. But it shouldn't matter to us. We're not weasels.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

As soon as I realized that the local carpenters couldn't figure out the long and short of cutting those wretched wood folding stairs, I started telling customers to yank out the old stairs. I told them to buy the heavy-duty metal stairs, or the ones that deploy like giant scissors. Or, better yet, get somebody to build a permanent stair to the attic.

That said, I included graphics from stair manufacturers, showing the right and wrong ways to install the stairs.

WJ