PVC Drain in Direct Contact with Concrete

randynavarro

So not many responses. . .

Is this one of those amazingly simple, rudiementary items that anybody should know and everyone is too afraid to say, "Wow, Randy, you're really stupid for not knowing that its perfectly okay for PVC to touch concrete!"

C'mon, I can take. I can take it. . . I'm ready. . .

Originally posted by randynavarro

So not many responses. . .

Is this one of those amazingly simple, rudiementary items that anybody should know and everyone is too afraid to say, "Wow, Randy, you're really stupid for not knowing that its perfectly okay for PVC to touch concrete!"

C'mon, I can take. I can take it. . . I'm ready. . .

Well, I'd cheerfully berate you but I don't know what you mean by "PVC drain in direct contact with concrete." Is it embedded in concrete as if passing through a foundation wall? Is it lying on top of concrete? Is the end of the drain hard-pressed against the concrete? Etc, etc.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I have never seen it installed any other way than in direct contact with concrete. In my area the sewer lines and drain pipes are installed before the basement floor is poured. The concrete is just poured around the pipes. I have never seen the pipe sleeved, wraped, or protected in any way. Every house built after 1970 in mid-michigan in plumbed with PVC waste piping and I have never seen a problem because of the direct contact with concrete.

Randy,

I just can't believe you did not know that!! Are you really an inspector?

HAPPY NOW?????

Truth be told - I never thought of it and really did not want to be a part of answering you and being wrong. There are those out there that would jump at another chance to prove me wrong! They are everywhere! Everywhere!

Well, I'd cheerfully berate you but I don't know what you mean by "PVC drain in direct contact with concrete." Is it embedded in concrete as if passing through a foundation wall? Is it lying on top of concrete? Is the end of the drain hard-pressed against the concrete? Etc, etc.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif PVCStack.JPG

20.11 KB

Originally posted by MMustola

I have never seen it installed any other way than in direct contact with concrete. In my area the sewer lines and drain pipes are installed before the basement floor is poured. The concrete is just poured around the pipes. I have never seen the pipe sleeved, wraped, or protected in any way. Every house built after 1970 in mid-michigan in plumbed with PVC waste piping and I have never seen a problem because of the direct contact with concrete.

Thanks Mark. I think I learned somewhere in the distant past that they needed to be sleeved with something.

Maybe it was only to keep the power trowels from gouging the pipe during the concrete finishing and has nothing to do with corroding the plastic.

Originally posted by lars53

I usually only see them sleeved if they penetrate the foundation wall horizontally.

This one is ABS.

Sorry Can't get link to work. I upload it but it won't appear on the post??

Make sure that you resize it to less than 100Kb and that there are no blank spaces or special symbols, like parenthesis, in the name of the file.

If you're on firefox or netscape, once the box tells you that it's uploaded, copy the URL out of the pop-up, close the window and then paste the URL into your post so that it will display.

If you want it to display in line with the post, place img and /img in brackets where you want the photo to appear and cut and paste that portion of the URL that begins with "uploads" between the brackets and submit your post.

Hope that helps.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike