What is this ugly siding?

Mark P

• 8 years later...
  • 3 years later...
On 6/11/2007 at 10:55 PM, Jim Katen said:

No offense to Bob, but that's why I've pretty much given up on the Carson Dunlop materials. There's no information in that paragraph that you can take to the bank. It's just a bunch of vague, negative comments without anything specific.

Kind of like a lot of home inspection reports.

It is frowned upon by some insurance companies and lending institutions id="green">

Which lending institutions? Which insurance companies? What does, "frowned upon," mean anyway? Will they not insure or loan on these houses? Will they charge more to do so? Is this a Canadian thing or does it extend to the US?

due to its combustabilityid="green">

Is it very combustible? Should this be something that a home inspector should warn his customers about? Is it more combustible than asphalt roofing or cedar siding or hardboard siding? If combustibility is a real issue, shouldn't that be what the paragraph is about instead of leading with "frowning"?

and the fact it denotes low quality construction to some.id="green">

So, "lending institutions" and "insurance companies" "frown" on it because it denotes "low quality construction to some" (among other problem, it seems). Does this ring anyone elseââ¬â¢s bullshit meter?

Insulbrick can be considered the forerunner to aluminum sidingid="green">

Really? In what way?

and is hard to repair since it is no longer made.id="green">

So it's just hard to repair? Does that mean that it can be repaired? It seems to me that the fact that it's no longer made would make it impossible to repair.

It is however easy to cover. id="green">

But is it advisable to cover it?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

i agree with your statements.  it is far less combustible than roof shingles. under intense heat the tar melts but for the most part it is actually tough against fires. it was a forerunner to both vinyl and aluminum siding because this was available far before aluminum siding was. it is IMPOSSIBLE to repair if exposed to sun for a long time the material falls apart and looks like swiss cheese, the only way to "repair" it would be to cut the bad portion out and replace it, which would be difficult to do because A) its hard to find and B) the color wont match unless you find an abandoned house and rip it off of it. its advisable to cover it if it is in bad shape. adds an extra layer of insulation but this stuff degenerating can be an eyesore. insurance companies may recommend that you cover it up but unlike a damaged roof, they cannot deny you insurance. 

I am grateful to Impaler of Horizons for reviving this thread. I'm writing a course on report writing and this provides fodder. In spite of my gratitude, I cannot help but think, Impaler of Horizons?  WITAF is that all about? 

We're home inspectors, pretty much any nom de guerre will suffice. May I suggest Bruce?

• 1 year later...

Should you put vinyl siding over damaged insulbrick?  We have a siding guy here who says its fine to just put the siding over the insulbrick but in some areas it is water damaged around the gabled roof.  He says this is our only insulation for the house and if we were to remove it, it would be costly. I am actually reading that insulbrick has a pretty low r-factor though. 

15 hours ago, Karen W said:

Should you put vinyl siding over damaged insulbrick?  We have a siding guy here who says its fine to just put the siding over the insulbrick but in some areas it is water damaged around the gabled roof.  He says this is our only insulation for the house and if we were to remove it, it would be costly. I am actually reading that insulbrick has a pretty low r-factor though. 

The Inselbrick is going to do as much for your house's R-value as a cotton tank top in January. But there's no reason why you can't install vinyl over it. (Just fix any rot first.) 

If you're concerned with energy efficiency, talk with an insulation contractor about blowing cellulose into your walls before you install the vinyl. 

19 hours ago, Tom Raymond said:

I wouldn't necessarily call this siding trash, but, it was often installed over existing siding. If there's already two layers of siding on the house I'd tear it all off and start fresh.

That's pretty much what I was saying.  Same with roofing. I don't like adding layer after layer.

Edited by Marc
  • Like 1