unvented gas log fireplace

I see these occasionally, installed when the basement gets finished or part of a cheap addition. I frequently obtain and review the installation instructions.

Some state "No hearth extension required".

One states "Hearth extension is an optional accessory".

One states "A hearth extension is recommended but not required".

When you see one of these in a finished basement, with a low ceiling, fire it up for an hour. Using an infrared thermometer (8:1, not a cheapo) Measure the temperature of the floor directly in front of the firebox. Then measure the temperature of the ceiling directly above the fireplace. It will quickly illustrate that if a hearth extension is needed, then you'll need to get enough to cover the ceiling.

Now, if I farted while standing in front of it, you'd want some floor protection. [:-jump]

I can't stand these stinkin', real-men-don't-start-fires-with-a-switch, unworthy-of-the-title-of-fireplace, things anyway.

Originally posted by Jerry Simon

Originally posted by kurt

How are his personal observations accurate, and ours are not?

Uhm, he investigates fires for a living, and teaches fire-safety courses for a living. Just my opinion, but I think his observations/opinions might hold more weight than ours. A shitload more.

That being said, your observations may certainly be correct.

I don't know Dale, I'm no expert on fires or fireplaces, but I do know this: For an inspecting organism to become a totally reliable solid-gold expert, he has to do a little more than teach seminars.

He has to get peer-reviewed by people who know as much as he knows about the stuff he teaches. And he has to publish something.

That's the standard method for filtering out folklore. Einstein knew his stuff, but he had to get peer-reviewed before he could sell other geniuses on his theory of relativity.

All that said, the English Ph.D. who wrote the Porter Valley HI software had to get peer-reviewed before he got his Ph.D. And look how that turned out...

WJid="blue">

I can't stand these stinkin', real-men-don't-start-fires-with-a-switch, unworthy-of-the-title-of-fireplace, things anyway.

I have to share: One of my musician customers said, "I hate those damn mood boxes. Every time I get near one, I can feel it sucking the soul out of me."

WJid="blue">

I have one, and I love it. After a 100 mph straight-line wind storm blew through in 2000 and torn down power lines all over 10 counties I had no other heat source for 5 days (in Feburary). We drug our matresses into living room at night and slept in front of the gas fireplace. It was just enough to keep the house tolerable with plenty of clothes on (or under the covers). I don't use it much, but it stays.

All that said, wood is and always will be the superior fire. It appeals to the inner cavemen in all of us.

Brian G.

There's A Time And Place For Everything [:-thumbu]

• 3 months later...

My first post here on this site so please be nice.

Floor protection is determined by the testing during the listing process. The ANSI Stds. require the floor, walls, and ceiling to remain less than 117F above ambient room temps. If a fireplace manual does not state the need for floor protection then it means the testing proved it operates under these temps. For instance, woodburners usually project much more heat on the hearth plus they have the danger of burning logs rolling out so the hearth extension for them must include specific insulative protection as calculated by the mfr, in K factor.

Those who question Dale Feb do not know him. He is the preeminent expert on fireplaces in North America bar none. www.f-i-r-e-service.com

HTH,

Hearthman