Shall We Have Another Weight-Off?

hausdok

Hi, All,

I noticed that on another thread Scott P. bet someone a donut about something or other, which prompted me to remark to myself, "Oy! Scott, I've seen your picture, you need to stay away from donuts almost as much as I do.

Isn't it time for the annual weight-off competition again? Waddaya say? We start on July 1st and see who can lose the most weight in the next 60 days with results due in on midnight of August 31st.

Is anyone in?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike (aka Sperm Whale)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple days after the fourth is the weekend and I like to have a couple over the weekend too. After that is Monday and Lord I hate starting anything on a Monday just bad Karma. Oh, and Tuesday is Trap night, not good either. And that takes us to my vacation. Can we start this in August?

Originally posted by inspecthistoric

I can still wriggle into openings about the dimensions of my clipboard. In fact, I can get into homes through the doggie door.

Yeah? Well who the hell asked you Kibble? Pipe down over there, will ya? [:D]

Brian G.

A Man Who Wore 29 x 35 Jeans At 18 [:-weepn]

Count me in too!!

Current stats : 6'5" 245lbs - when I was a full time climber I weighed 190. I've got a sneaking suspicion I won't see 190 again, but I'll be happy at 215-220lbs. I am at a distinct disadvantage being married to an Eastern European - I swear she's trying to kill me with good food!!!

-Brad

So,

How would you guys like to do this? If you want, I can put up a cloaked conference where each person in the weight-off can each keep a journal of sorts. We'd each record what we're eating and doing for exercise each day and record our daily weight gain/loss.

I know, sounds like an anal compulsive going all haywire, doesn't it? Well, believe it or not, writing it down and keeping a record, and knowing what's working for others, can help. I had a C.O. once threaten to discharge me back in 1986 for missing my maximum allowable weight by 10 lbs during a quarterly weigh-in. She gave me 10 days to get under my ideal weight or she was going to start the paperwork.

This was back in the day when most officers, men and women, had pot bellies that made them look pregnant. I got so pissed off, that at the end of that 10 days I'd dropped 15 pounds. The day of the deadline, after she'd finally recorded my weight as being within limits, and the threat was gone, I went down to the Army hospital in Bremerhaven and had the hospital dietician put me on a diet.

I was assigned to a group of folks who were all on the same restricted 1500 calorie a day diet. We were all required to record what we ate and did for exercise and to share that with each other during twice-weekly sit-downs with the dietician. It helped to know what was working and what wasn't. That way, each of us was able to adjust our technique as we went. It grew into a competition of sorts, and I dropped 34 pounds over the next 4 months. It was years before I started gaining weight again.

If you guys would like to do that, let me know. You can still keep this thread going if you like.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by hausdok

So,

How would you guys like to do this? If you want, I can put up a cloaked conference where each person in the weight-off can each keep a journal of sorts. We'd each record what we're eating and doing for exercise each day and record our daily weight gain/loss.

I like it. Structure is good. It might also be useful to help keep the weight off. I can shed weight but I can't seem to keep it off. My last attempt resulted in a net gain of 5#.

Count me in.

- Jim Katen, Oregon, 255 lb.

I'm gonna leave this one to you boys, but just for the record:

6' 3" at 210 lbs.

The problem is about 10 or 15 of that is in one lump right above my belt. I never had a problem with that in my life until the lost year of appraisal. Too much desk time. Now I can't shake the belly I gained.

Brian G.

I look Like a Snake That Swallowed a Dog [:-slaphap

Okay Guys,

You'll see that there is a new forum category for the 2nd Annual TIJ weight off. Anyone who wants to participate in this is welcome to join.

Make sure that you've got your What's New selection bar at the top of the page set to "All Categories That You Have Access To" so you'll always see this category when you leave and come back onto TIJ. When you log on and are looking for this one, you'll need to scroll to the very bottom of the 'all forums' page to find it.

Now that I've set this up for general discussion, I'm going to create a journal area for all weight-off participants where each participant can keep a journal of what he/she's doing. This will be viewable to only the other weight-off participants, so we can see what's working for others. If we want to discuss what's working and what's not, or make suggestions to one another, I don't think we should be placing comments on someone else's journal. If we want to talk about something we should do that here in the open.

I'll set up the individual competitor's journals and do an example of a journal entry in my own. If you other competitors want to use it, I'll shoot you the code via email, so all you have to do is enter it into the first post in your personal journal and then cut and paste and make changes as necessary week-by-week.

So far, it looks like the following are in:

Jim Katen

Brian G.

Carle3

MMustola

Les

Scottpat

hausdok

chicago

Phillip

Brad Manor

charlieb

We probably should be talking about the grand prize at the end of this thing. No?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Okay Guys,

All 11 of those are set up. They are only accessible to the 11 guys on the list above and each of you should be able to view each other's posts, so you can see what's working and what's not. I threw in some fake data in the first entry to give you an idea.

To keep your journal. Click on your category and then when you see the Diet, exercise..... title click the icon that says Edit Forum Properties, in order to be able to keep your journal.

As you progress, just cut and paste the records from one day to the next and change the data. At the end of each day's entry, you should record your calorie count and at the end of the week, you should record your total caloric intake and total weight loss/gain.

We all need to make an entry with our starting weight late in the day on July 4th.

I think that you'll find that this is easier when you have someone to compete against and with whom to discuss what's working and what's not.

If anyone else wants to get in on this, let me know right here. It'll only take me a few minutes to add you.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Well,

Since I've never been 6'3" I have no idea. I was 6' in high school. Busted my left femur, losing an inch out of my left leg, and crushed 4 vertebrae in a car accident and ended up 5'11 for a long time. However, I guess age gets to one and at some point there's some bone loss, because at nearly 56 I'm only 5' 10" inches now and I weigh about 240.

That's better than three years ago when I was 262. Back then, I went on a summer diet and dropped 64 lbs in 90 days, but never did get down to my ideal weight. According to my doctor, I'm still 65 pounds overweight, so it's time to kick it in the ass.......again.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike