Vent Pipe Paint?

Brian G

In the same 50 year old house with the drum vent I found an odd ancient natural gas heating unit. I'd love to post a photo, but...well, I've had enough of that for one day.

It has a vent pipe connected to a chimney I suspect is single wall, and it's painted. Is it generally permissable to paint a vent pipe? I wouldn't think so, but I thought I'd ask. It's white, by the way, not silver or some other possible "galvanized coating" color.

Hey Mike, if I email you the photo can you insert it?

Brian G.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif oldie.jpg

49.74 KB

They painted it white to match the trim. As Hi's we like to worry a lot. As old as it looks do you think its a bad idea to have it sitting on a wood floor?? By the way is it closer to the combustible wall surface than is considered safe?? Is there any kind of paint that could be used to paint a metal flue that gets hot (or any type of metal that gets reall hot)?? If so, what type?? Have we done paint chip analysis to determine the type of paint on that flue??.

Good luck and nice photo.

Originally posted by DLRambo

They painted it white to match the trim. As Hi's we like to worry a lot. As old as it looks do you think its a bad idea to have it sitting on a wood floor??

It's been sitting there for 50 years, I guess it's okay.

By the way is it closer to the combustible wall surface than is considered safe??

No, it's a good 8 - 10 inches off the wall, same 50 years.

Is there any kind of paint that could be used to paint a metal flue that gets hot (or any type of metal that gets reall hot)?? If so, what type??

That was sort of my question, but I don't really think so. I'm concerned they might have painted it for looks after they moved out, and the next owners could have a problem after they fire this thing up. I'm strongly implying replacement anyway.

Have we done paint chip analysis to determine the type of paint on that flue??.

Now Dan, are we being facetious here? Of course not, that's a few miles beyond the scope. If they wanna pay for it I'll find someone.

This little house is about 1100 sq. ft. It's cooled by 1 big window unit and heated by this dinosaur. Time for an update, I think.

Brian G.

There are paints that'll stand 1500 degrees f. None that I'm aware of are glossy. I painted the flue on a wood stove when I was younger and when I had a good fire going the flue was positively glowing. The paint was "sparking" and producing a shower of hot bits that were burning in air. The paint on your flue would bother me for the fire hazard and the fume potential.

This is a Rheem unit by the way, with no visible controls other than 2 knobs on the gas valve and what appeared to be a thermostat bulb. No label or plate to be found.

I didn't try to operate it, I was afraid I might lose my eyebrows in the attempt. I am strongly recommending CO testing before the client moves forward. I'd bet money it won't reflect well on this baby.

Brian G.