roof pitch gauge

John Dirks Jr

Do any of you measure roof pitch when doing inspections? I could see it being useful when determining if 3 tab composite shingles are being used on to low of a pitch.

I know it can be done with a tape measure and a level but what do you think about this kind of tool? This one will also measure the pitch from under the eave.

Do they have these things at Home Depot?

http://roofgenius.com/roofangle.htm

• 1 year later...

Do any of you measure roof pitch when doing inspections? I could see it being useful when determining if 3 tab composite shingles are being used on to low of a pitch.

I know it can be done with a tape measure and a level but what do you think about this kind of tool? This one will also measure the pitch from under the eave.

Do they have these things at Home Depot?

http://roofgenius.com/roofangle.htm

Depending on how crazy you want to get, there are gadgets that will measure from on top of the roof, from the heel, or you can order a Pitch Finder for about $6.00 online. Haageducation.com sells one, Illinois Lumber & Material has another (www.ilmda.com) I'm sure you can find others. They're plastic see-through cards with the pitch marked. You stand back and line up the roof to get an approximate angle. Good for quick and dirty.

I made my own when I started to measure pitches from the ground. I stopped using it fairly quickly as I found that I could eyeball a pitch accurately enough for the report in most cases. It's here if anyone wants it (works best on gable roofs).

Download Attachment: icon_adobe.gif pitchgauge.pdf

69.64 KB

I do use the tape and rule method for taking photos of the (relatively rare) low slope/shingle issues.

Click to Enlarge
tn_200957231614_0032x.jpg

112.18 KB

I measure roof pitch if I suspect shingles have been installed on a less than 4:12 slope. I like to keep things simple, this is what I carry in my binder and its FREE. The amusement factor is priceless.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif IKOPocketPitchfinder.jpg

378.44 KB

Here is the other side if you want to calculate coverage.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif IKOPocketPitchfinder2.jpg

323.71 KB

Inside complex roof slopes I'll use a tape and level.

• 1 year later...

You can buy a pitch guage at Home Depot.

The minimum slope for asphalt shingles is 2:12.

Installing shingles on slopes between 2:12 and 4:12 require 2 plying the felt. That might be a little hard to visually check, but if you're doing destructive testing, you would want the pitch guage to check the slope.

(Commercial link removed by moderator)

I got this at one of the big box stores

ie. Home Depot/Menards type

Image Insert:

200772785453_pitch%20indicator.jpg

16.64 KB

Image Insert:

200772785517_pitch%20close%20up.jpg

21.51 KB

Had this same one back when I was in construction. Threw it in my inspection kit and now I take it with me all the time. I generally use it on low-slope applications (similar to my forehead).