Testing AFCI

John Dirks Jr

I understand I will be required to test AFCI's. What is the cheapest reliable equipment available that will help me with this task?

I know, I got cheap and reliable in the same sentence. I hope its not just wishful thinking.

I know there was a few older threads on this but I want to renew the subject since maybe some new devices are available or other less expensive one have been improved.

Originally posted by Bain

And then there's the final step . . . field the phone call from the seller who's ticked off about the blinking clock digits and the computers and peripherals that were restarted/shut-down.

I hear ya there Bain. I will probably make it standard to discuss those things prior to starting the inspection.

I will suggest that they shut down any computer systems if at all possible. I wont have a problem going back and setting clocks. How long could that take? If I miss one, oh well. They were discussed in the beginning anyway.

We dont live in a perfect world, oh well.[:-indiffe

chicago Posted - Jul 28 2007 : 12:35:23 PM:

"I check it with the reset button at the panel."

You check it with the reset button? I'm intrigued. I've been using the test button. It sounds like I can save a step with your method.[:P]

AHI Posted - Jul 29 2007 : 05:01:28 AM:

"I will suggest that they shut down any computer systems if at all possible. I wont have a problem going back and setting clocks. How long could that take? If I miss one, oh well. They were discussed in the beginning anyway."

I don't test AFCI's in occupied houses. I disclaim them and recommend the buyer test them before they move into the house. If I accidentally trip a breaker on bedroom circuit I don't reset the clocks, since I can't know what wake up time they were programmed for. A flashing clock lets the owner know to do it (homeowners are rarely at the inspection 'round these parts).

I'd rather have a homeowner mildly annoyed from having to reset a clock to a seriously ticked off one who was late for work.