Is a professional "certification" worth it?

hausdok

I've got the kernel of a plan, not on the order you describe, but a possibility. Not secret, but too vaporous to talk about in any serious way.

I'll tell you about it in a couple months, when the components will either vaporize, or take form.

Just so's you know, I'm flattered to be included in lists like yours.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary,

It would take several individuals and a fair amount of cash. I have always believed there are people out there with both experience and a little cash.

Mike O had an idea a few months back about a physical location and it did generate some interest among a few folks. Personally, I have a little extra time and a little extra money and a whole bunch of interest. I do not have the personality to put it together.

The actual amount of time Kurt M, Scott P, Les V, and many other TIJ guys spend on national association affairs would be nearly enough time to put the plan into place. There is a huge political element to all this. I am talking politics at a regional and national level.

It can be accomplished. I want to be a part of it.

How about a combination of University of Phoenix, ITT, and Kurt, Mike and Les's Traveling Road Show?

gotta go and work!

We're in a profession that has been organized for only about thirty years, and in that time we have stuck with the same basic certifications, at least from the associations. A big leap going from association certifications, or correspondence courses to a one-four year HI program. Or is it.

There have been attempts and there are ongoing courses offered at accredited secondary schools. An old Eastern WA U class was referenced in this thread, Bellingham (WA) Community college started a semester class a few years ago, and MikeO. has developed and teaches a couple classes at Northgate Communty College-this is just in WA State. The carson dunlop/ashi in home course is about 400 hours, certainly better than what the associations offered in the past. While some newbees will supplement their one or two week class with independendent study, many do not, and even so, the lack of serious institutionalized HI study is the reason we have the huge disparity between levels of competence.

Perceptions need to change. I think if the market were to really grasp that there was limited formalized HI schools, that they would be concerned.

What some have been exploring is going to happen in some shape or form. Actually, it is starting to happen. -Dave

Originally posted by Les

Gary,

It would take several individuals and a fair amount of cash. I have always believed there are people out there with both experience and a little cash.

Not just several individuals, but several of THE BEST individuals in this field.

I suspect that many of the best inspectors already network with one-another, so the real battle is to get them together outside of, and independent of any association.

Some of the best inspectors have such allegiance to an association that they fail to see beyond the association. They will bitch-slap their friends in defense of their 'club'. Still, they are the best and if they are not too old, could at least figure out a way to put a gold star by the names of the next generation's elite. (N.B., Egos and testosterone can cripple any meaningful effort.)id="green">

Mike O had an idea a few months back about a physical location and it did generate some interest among a few folks. Personally, I have a little extra time and a little extra money and a whole bunch of interest. I do not have the personality to put it together.

I suspect Mike has the personality. He certainly has a great independent arena in TIJ.id="green">

The actual amount of time Kurt M, Scott P, Les V, and many other TIJ guys spend on national association affairs would be nearly enough time to put the plan into place. There is a huge political element to all this. I am talking politics at a regional and national level.

Yes, there are fifty dissimilar political systems. In NY, I could not inspect the large condo units Kurt inspects in Chicago. Nor can I legally inspect new construction.id="green">

It can be accomplished. I want to be a part of it.

Great! That's one.id="green">

How about a combination of University of Phoenix, ITT, and Kurt, Mike and Les's Traveling Road Show?

I think it would be a hit. Some of the best are already conducting classes/seminars, but they are not in concert with a larger plan.id="green">