Asbestos in Rockwool

Jim D.

I want to remodel an attic room that was insulated in the 1940's with bags of rockwool. These had been sheetrocked over in the 1960's. Are the do-it-yourself asbestos sampling kits a reliable indicator of the presence of asbestos? Also, does sheetrock from the 1960's contain asbestos?

If it's loose rockwool, there's no history that I find, or have heard of, that it would contain asbestos. It's a spun material, not mined, so there wouldn't be any natural contamination. I have read about asbestos lined rockwool blankets, but not sure where they are normally found and that doesn't sound like "bags of rockwool".

Similarly, no history of 60's gypsum board or sheetrock itself containing asbestos BUT the joint compound might.

As for "do-it-yourself asbestos sampling kits"? As far as I know, the only "do-it-yourself" bit is collecting the samples which then have to be sent to an acredited lab. That is unless each DIY kit comes complete with a very powerful microscope! If you have concerns, I suggest you first contact a certfied, licensed lab in your area and see what they suggest you sample.