advice on becoming a HI

I think if you compare them on an hour by hour basis, you're likely to derive greater benefit by shadowing a top tier inspector than by attending a home inspection school. Be such to learn how to recognize the best. You'll learn more and he's less likely to view you as future competition if he thinks you're too far behind to ever catch up on him.

I don't know if your state requires completion of one of these 'cracker jack' schools.

You could do both, a school and a hands-on inspector tutor, if you're so inclined, but do keep in mind that there's no school in the entire USA that can do even a half decent job of preparing you for a career as home inspector. Good ones just don't exist yet.

Civil engineering is an excellent springboard from which to launch a career as home inspector but don't get too snug with that thought. You'll still have a great deal to learn. The best inspectors are self trained. They learn as they progress through the years and it never stops because building methods and materials change constantly.

This is just my two bits worth. Opinions will vary with the individual. That's what makes this forum so great.

Marc

I think if you compare them on an hour by hour basis, you're likely to derive greater benefit by shadowing a top tier inspector than by attending a home inspection school. Be such to learn how to recognize the best. You'll learn more and he's less likely to view you as future competition if he thinks you're too far behind to ever catch up on him.

I don't know if your state requires completion of one of these 'cracker jack' schools.

You could do both, a school and a hands-on inspector tutor, if you're so inclined, but do keep in mind that there's no school in the entire USA that can do even a half decent job of preparing you for a career as home inspector. Good ones just don't exist yet.

Civil engineering is an excellent springboard from which to launch a career as home inspector but don't get too snug with that thought. You'll still have a great deal to learn. The best inspectors are self trained. They learn as they progress through the years and it never stops because building methods and materials change constantly.

This is just my two bits worth. Opinions will vary with the individual. That's what makes this forum so great.

Marc

thanks fyi