Category IV Vent Clearance To AC Unit

dtontarski

Observed this category IV forced vent for high efficiency furnace venting very close to AC unit today. This seems to violate common sense, as this warm moist air will surely affect this unit, but does this violate any code issues? (Yes, I did point out that the window over this vent didn't meet the 4' below or to the side clearance requirements)

Image Insert:

200782821261_Ali%20010.jpg

139.94 KB

The condensing unit is too close to the home. I'm sure that doesn't meet manufacturer's clearance requirements.

I'd be more concerned about the disconnect next to the furnace vent than the condensing unit (closer to the vent). The discharge air is quite acidic and could cause problems for the disconnect in the future. Not good placement for the vent/condensing unit either way.

(Yes, I did point out that the window over this vent didn't meet the 4' below or to the side clearance requirements)

I inspected a high efficiency furnace (category IV) today and the installation instructions only indicated the need for a 1' clearance to an operable window in the US and 2' clearance in Canada-- am I missing something?

Brandon -

Code check reads "min 4ft below or to side and 1 ft above window or door" in the forced vents (category IV) section, but as I understand it the manufactures instructions are the ultimate guideline. I didn't have the benefit of having these documents during my inspection so I went with code check.

Dave