NFL 2007

Brian G

Originally posted by fqp25

OK Mike, not to drift this thread even more, but; I can't wait for the day when a NASCAR or IRL driver tests positive for steroids, or human growth hormones.

Just along the same lines as Bob E. is saying: It's not a true sport until Balco Labs exposes some of it's participant.

Frank

Might they test positive for some other illegal substance that's designed to keep them wide awake, alert and on the edge, though? Long races and constant engine noise can have a hypnotic effect, can't they. After all, they are driving at speeds over 200 mph. Maybe some of them think they need an edge. Hmmm? [:-sonar]

OT - OF!!!

M.

I saw the highlights. He was lucky that pass got in to the reciever. The guy was actually covered, but cornerback didn't know where the ball was. It was a nice drive by Greise, but I wouldn't count on him for the long run. He has a track record. He starts okay, gets better for a while, then fades back to permanent mediocrity.

Why in the hell can't the Bears ever seem to get a top-notch guy at the QB position? The few times they've had that they did very well (Luckman, McMahon).

Brian G.

Spend the Money! [:-boggled

Jerry Angelo was the GM for Tampa and had the same problem with drafting offense over there.

He got lucky and drafted a guy named olsen at tight end though,so you will be hearing more as Brian seems to like short middle of the field tosses.

So far Greise looks good but has a drinking history that I hope is gone.

He went to Michigan like Brady .

• 2 weeks later...

We had a great weekend in New Orleans. The weather was terrific, the 9 year old chose to stay back home with his grandparents, and the Saints won a very entertaining game going away (41 - 24). My voice is semi-hoarse from yelling and my hands are sore from clapping, but it was a ton of fun. I'm already looking forward to going back in January for IW.

From 0-4 to 4-4

My boys are getting hotter by the week. They reeled off 538 yards of offense (including 32 first downs) on a very solid Jaguars defense. The defense, still a work in progress, didn't allow 100 yards rushing for the 7th straight game. The rest of the schedule is Rams, Texans, Panthers, Bucs, Falcons, Cardinals, Eagles, and Bears; a combined 23-42 right now. With apologies to my Chicago friends, I think we should run-out from here. Maybe one slip-up somewhere along the way......[;)]

Brian G.

Who Dat? Who Dat? Who Dat Say They Can Beat Dem Saints? [:-footbal

Originally posted by Jim Morrison

Dat'd be me. The hombre from NE.

You gonna take 'em on solo, there Captain Guinness? [:-fight][:D]

What's eating your boys this year, by the way? The remorseless poundings they're going out of their way to put on all the lesser teams they've played is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Is sportsmanship dead in Foxboro? If they keep that up they'll end this season as widely disliked as they were previously respected. Talk to Tom and Bill next time you see them, will 'ya? [;)]

Brian G.

Back-Ups Wanna Play Too [:-weepn]

Dr. Pepper,

You know, I've heard that from a few different people and I guess I just don't see it. Or at least I don't see it the same way. To play at that level in the NFL, you've got to win games, not friends. To let up a little in the fourth when you think you've got it won plays well with the "Lifetime" crowd, but I don't think it wins Superbowl rings.

But I think the Saints are everyone's second favorite team this year. This could be their year.

Cpt. Guinness

Originally posted by Jim Morrison

To let up a little in the fourth when you think you've got it won plays well with the "Lifetime" crowd, but I don't think it wins Superbowl rings.

Fair enough, but when you're whipping the Dolphins by 40 with 6 minutes left there isn't any "think you've got it won". It's over; no need to go for 4th downs and long bombs. It's not terribly relevent to me anyway, but I hope for you fan's sake some thug on one of those lesser teams doesn't get pissed and take out Brady's knees after the whistle. That's actually being talked about on the sports shows. If that happens the Pats are done.

But I think the Saints are everyone's second favorite team this year. This could be their year.

I thought so before the season, but unless the defense really picks it up by the end of the year we won't get past the second round. Care to loan us Adelius Thomas? [;)]

Brian G.

Will Work for Defense [:-paperba

Letting up isn't what football is about. Any team that's weiner enough to whine about someone running up a score is, well, a weiner.

And, this is entertainment in addition to being sport; if I was paying for a seat, and I saw the "pro's" whining & piddling because the game was a blowout, I'd be pissed.

The whole "might take out the knees" discussion on the jock sniff sports shows is increasingly offensive. Sports news is only a slight tic from Entertainment Tonight. It's best to not listen to that stuff too much.

Originally posted by kurt

Letting up isn't what football is about. Any team that's weiner enough to whine about someone running up a score is, well, a weiner.

Letting up when the contest has clearly been decided is part of what sportsmanship is about, football included, at any level. I still believe sportsmanship is very important in sports. All sports; all levels.

And, this is entertainment in addition to being sport; if I was paying for a seat, and I saw the "pro's" whining & piddling because the game was a blowout, I'd be pissed.

Blowouts happen. I've seen teams stick everyone in but the waterboy and only call running plays, but still score because the other team just can't stop them. Nothing wrong with that...what else can they do?

The whole "might take out the knees" discussion on the jock sniff sports shows is increasingly offensive. Sports news is only a slight tic from Entertainment Tonight. It's best to not listen to that stuff too much.

My point was that if it's being talked about on those shows, it's being talked about in NFL locker rooms too. It should never happen. If it does the guy who does it should be banned for life and charged with assault (if it's after the whistle). But if it does happen, Belichik will have to look at himself in the mirror and know he kept pushing it, hard, for no good reason. It makes no sense.

Brian G.

Bad Winners Suck Just as Much as Bad Losers [:-yuck]

• 4 weeks later...

My boys just threw the division away. Can anyone explain that double reverse call to me? Why?

Oh well, that's the breaks. We still have an outside shot at a wildcard, but we're not really going anywhere this year. The defense is no better than last year and the offense is less consistant. Hopefully management and coaching will get their heads together in the offseason and improve things. We'll see.

Boy, do we miss Duece McAllister.

Brian G.

Please, Spend Our Picks and Money on DEFENSE!!! [:-crazy]

Even if the Saints had won that game, they would have needed a lot of help to win the Division. And I know you can think that stupid play calling of the reverse lateral fumble cost the game, but there were a few gaffs on either side. Like had Galloway and Luke been on the same page that would have been 6 points for Tampa and not a pick 6. Still though, it was, IMHO an incredibly dumb call. The Buc's now own the division with only a few extremely unlikely scenarios left to be squashed.

Go Bucs

Just ordered some extra Guinness and popcorn. Going to be a good night. It is true that in professional sports any team on any night could surprise you. It is no accident that the Patriots are doing well. Sports watching in the New England area is and has been fun. Sox did well! Patriots are doing well!Celtics are doing well! Brunz?

Revs did well![:-party][:-party] Go Pats!