The end of an era

Anyone doing inspections today owes something to Mel Chalfen. Mel gave as much as any other person to our profession. Unfortunately, he died this week after a long illness.

MELVIN H. CHALFEN

Melvin H. Chalfen Of Newton, on Wednesday, September 12, 2007. Beloved husband of Judith R. (Resnick). Loving father of Robert N. of Cambridge, Daniel & his wife Sally of Boulder, CO. and Andrew D. & his wife Audra Wolfe of Philadelphia, PA. Adored grandfather of Theodore. Services at the Levine Chapel, 470 Harvard Street, Brookline on Sunday, September 16 at 1:00pm, Burial in Sharon Memorial Park. Memorial observance Sunday from 5-8pm and Monday 2-5pm & 7-9pm at his late residence. Remembrances may be made to the New Art Center, 61 Washington Park, Newton, 02460 or The National Yiddish Book Center. Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Building, 1021 West St., Amherst, 01002. Levine Chapels, Brookline 617-277-8300

Published in the Boston Globe on 9/14/2007.

Ps. Mel's home address is 22 Hyde Ave., Newton, MA 02458

I'm profoundly saddened by Mel's passing.

Though I'd never met him personally, over the past 6-7 years I've had telephone conversations with him wherein we've discussed where the profession came from, where it is now, and where we thought it should be going. We'd discovered that we were kindred spirits. It's too bad that he never lived to see his dream of a profession fully populated by truly qualified and fully-vetted inspectors realized.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT, Mel!!!

Mike

Mel Chalfen,

AS already posted, Mel Chalfen has passed away. Mel was ASHI, his membership number was #79 - that should tell you something. He helped found ASHI and our ASHI-NE Chapter.

Mel was a true professional and the most ethical home inspector I have ever known. I am very proud to have been his student and a very good personal friend. Mel forgot more about our business than I will ever learn.

Mel was Chairman of our ASHI-NE Chapter Education Committee for more than 14 years, a position that I now hold, and I have a very big pair of shoes to fill. On my wall is a plaque called the Mel Chalfen Award, given to me in 2004 for my contributions to the Chapter. The award is issued each year and now it holds a very dear meaning for me, and stimulates fond memories of education seminars both organized and taught by Mel.

Mel has passed us the torch and we need to carry on in his memory.

Good bye my friend.

Bob Mulloy