Are joints affected by changes in altitude?

OK, this is an off-the-wall question but I've got to ask it - does anyone know if there have ever been studies to determine whether trips in airplanes can markedly affect joint function?

Ever since I got back from Missouri last week the arthritis in my hands has been really bad. I had no severe problems before flying to the training, but during the training I noticed that my hands were stiff and the joints more painful than usual. When I got back, they really started to act up. There's been a few times when typing more than a paragraph or two is actually painful.

The only thing that was really different during that time period was the extended flight in a pressurized aircraft, so I was just wondering.

Somebody at the training mentioned some kind of joint stuff that helps with stiff old joints, anyone remember what that was?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by hausdok

OK, this is an off-the-wall question but I've got to ask it - does anyone know if there have ever been studies to determine whether trips in airplanes can markedly affect joint function?

Ever since I got back from Missouri last week the arthritis in my hands has been really bad. I had no severe problems before flying to the training, but during the training I noticed that my hands were stiff and the joints more painful than usual. When I got back, they really started to act up. There's been a few times when typing more than a paragraph or two is actually painful.

The only thing that was really different during that time period was the extended flight in a pressurized aircraft, so I was just wondering.

Somebody at the training mentioned some kind of joint stuff that helps with stiff old joints, anyone remember what that was?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Had you been scuba diving within a day or so before getting on the plane?

Other than that, I've alway heard old geezers complain of joint pain when the barometer shifts. I don't know why.

Morphine really helps with joint pain.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by hausdok

The lower barometric pressure during flight is a well-known trigger for many annoyances. Since there are more than 100 types of arthritis, it's hard to say specifically which ones are vulnerable - except osteoarthritis, which is generally more painful during low barometric pressure conditions.

Luckily, the effects are temporary.

http://arthritis.about.com/od/weather/f/weather.htm

http://www.healthcentral.com/osteoarthritis/question-answer-27504-63.html

http://arthritis.about.com/od/travel/Traveling_With_Arthritis_Planning_Preparation_Key_To_Traveling.htm

http://www.midwestarthritis.com/html/weather___arthritis.htm

One master of tai chi chuan was quoted as saying, "Life begins at seventy!". According to him, you have to practice that form for at least fifty years before it becomes a martial art.

Speaking of longevity, in the spirit of drifting threads, minds, and bodies, I checked a book from the library about growing hedges back when I planted the hedge around my garden plot.

The book was English, published in 1912 or so. The writer explained that you started your hornbeam or beech seedlings, planted them, and then let them grow for fifteen years before performing an operation called "laying over", where you cut almost all the way thru the trunk and laid the trunk horizontally while weaving it around vertical "staves". Then you let it grow another FIFTY years to attain a finished product. In old England they didn't have barbed wire etc., and hedgerows were how you kept your livestock in.

One scientist there developed a method of determining the age of hedgerows by counting the number of species growing in them and multiplying by 100 yrs. Said he has never got it wrong.

You guys who have logged 40-50 don't know jack about longevity, nor do I.

Damn near made it six times while in Springfield last week! It would have been worth it just to tell the story.

Now, lets see - it had been a long day of driving and I finally found Kurt and Mike sitting in a bar some 9miles from where they were gonna meet me. Mike was doing his best to be polite and talk to everyone and Kurt was busy trying to order a vegetarian hamburger from this very nice food service person. Well, ---------------------

Originally posted by Les

Damn near made it six times while in Springfield last week! It would have been worth it just to tell the story.

Now, lets see - it had been a long day of driving and I finally found Kurt and Mike sitting in a bar some 9miles from where they were gonna meet me. Mike was doing his best to be polite and talk to everyone and Kurt was busy trying to order a vegetarian hamburger from this very nice food service person. Well, ---------------------

Then Mark "Out-Flirted" Les & got the hug from the waitress.

Mike- Sorry to hear about your hands. I know you mentioned they were uncomfortable in Springfield. Hope they feel better soon.

Frank