College Football - WOW!

Once again I have to come on and praise my Bullys (oh, the burden). Yesterday they took down #22 Alabama in front of a record home crowd. That makes 6 wins (bowl eligible for the first time in 7 years), with 3 of those against Top 25 teams. I wouldn't be surprised if we sneak into the bottom of the poll this time.

And the future looks soooo bright. We're playing a true freshman quarterback, a pair of sophmore running backs, and whole lot of skull-cracking blue collar guys who run fast and hit hard.

We seem to have great luck against teams from next door this year, having beat Bama, Auburn, and UAB. Here's hoping that extends to our western neighbor next week, when we take on Arkansas.

Brian G.

Beware the Dawgs! [:-dog]

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by kurt

I was paying more attention to IL/OH, but saw a bit of the other games. Lots of good games.

There's nothing quite like upsetting #1.

I watched that one too. I think unranked Illinois did #1 Ohio State a huge favor. If they had stayed at #1 and played in another title game (vs. LSU, Oregon, or Kansas, say), they probably would have been beaten badly again. Now they can go to the Rose Bowl by beating Michigan, possibly get a more equitable match-up (if Oregon goes elsewhere), and have a decent shot at winning a bowl instead.

Right now I'd give Oregon a slight inside track to the big game, if only because LSU and Kansas will have to play, and win, a conference championship game to stay on track.

I hear my Dawgs recieved some votes in the poll, but not quite enough to get in. If we topple Arkansas, we'll make it.

Brian G.

Crazy, Crazy, Season...Gotta Love It [:-footbal

Originally posted by ozofprev

And Vandy over South Carolina? What's going on?!

There's a reason they play the games. Personally, I'm loving the upsets, starting w/Applachia State over Michigan @ the beginning of the season.

It's reaffirming when the game, as metaphor for the world, seems available to the unknowns & unranked that combine practice, hard work, & luck to their favor.

Add Oregon and Oklahoma to the list. Now focus shifts to Kansas and Missouri, the remaining unbeatens. Mizzou won, but gave up 32 to Kansas State today; no D = no championship.

My Dawgs got into a shootout with the Hawgs, scoring lots but giving up even more. Vitamin "D" was in short supply. Congrats to Kevin and the Hawgs.

Brian G.

Beat Ole Miss!!! [:-party]

"....'.leven, man. My amp goes to eleven......"

Sorry, but I will never be able to see the number eleven and not think of Spinal Tap.

Yaaah, Oklahoma goin' down to another unranked. They got dismantled. It was a fun day; typing boring reports, raking leaves, and watching some good football.

I realize there aren't many Hawg fans out there except me, but those of you who like to see # 1's beaten need to pull for us Friday when we take on LSU. Unfortunately, the game is in Death Valley, and we're already banged up from the earlier games. Add to that the fact that we will likely (again) be without the services of one of our starting running backs. Looks anything but promising from where I sit.

Brian's Bulldogs put up impressive passing numbers yesterday, but we held them to 80 yards rushing. It seems that our secondary wasn't quite as ready to play as the rest of the D.

I've got friends in New Orleans that I generally see at least a couple of times a year. I need some bragging rights for those occasions even if the rest of our season was mediocre!

Originally posted by Phillip

Kevin,

LSU is going to be hard to beat. I am pulling for them to win the next three. I would love to see a team from the SEC to win it all.

Phillip-- LSU is extremely talented and well coached. Being a realist, I fully expect to lose. However, I just as fully hope to win. After all, that's why they play the games, and this year has been a tough one for #1 and #2 teams.

If we lose, my support is 100% behind LSU as the conference representative.

I placed a very large wager on LSU when they were in town to play the 'Cats, certain that the 'Cats would be mowed down like dry blades of grass.

LSU didn't get one sack, and they surrended a whole slew of yards to what is only a moderately talented offense.

Go figure.

Last year, Florida's only loss during their championship season was to Auburn, a pretty good team.

But LSU losing to Kentucky? And nearly losing at home to Florida? Don't be surprised if the Bayou Bengals get swatted across their noses again.

I'm a sucker for a good underdog anytime, but....

With apologies to my western neighbor Kevin, I also cannot root against LSU at this point. They can keep the championship down here, where it belongs, for another year; no other SEC school can get there now. I wish it were someone that hasn't done it in a while, like Georgia, but it isn't. Oh well.

I also happen to believe they really are the best team in the country, bar none. They have one loss on a murderous schedule that would have ground-down lesser teams weeks ago. I wouldn't want to take them on in the big game after they've had a month to rest-up, get healthy, and scheme. Scary. [:-vamp]

Brian G.

Beat Ole Miss!!! [:-party]

Originally posted by Bain

Don't say I didn't tell you so . . .

So you did. One close game too many, and there isn't any time to recover. Congrats to Kevin and the Razorbacks. Is Houston Nutt still gonna be fired? [:-wiltel]

Arizona State lost, either Mizzou or Kansas will lose (they play each other), and the beat goes on in the nuttiest season of college football ever played. It's practically a roll of the dice as to who winds up in the so-called championship game, and each of those teams has a 50 - 50 shot at winning it all. If ever a season BEGGED for a playoff system....[:-indiffe

On the other hand, my beloved Bulldogs pulled out a narrow win over in-state rival Ole Miss by scoring 17 unanswered points in the last 8 minutes. We finish at 7 - 5; 3 of the wins were over Top 25 teams, and two of the losses were to Top 10 teams (LSU & West Virginia). Lots of Top 25 teams can't say as much. We should get a decent, but not too high-flying, bowl game. After two straight 3 - 9 seasons, I'm more than content. [:-angel]

I'll be watching Bama vs. Auburn tomorrow night, a sure slobber-knocker.

Brian G.

Love the College Game [:-footbal[:-love]