Jump to content

What do you call this...

Jerry Simon

Recommended Posts

Originally posted by Jerry Simon

What is the name for this cone-like roof structure? Thanks much.

That's a really strange bit of ornament. Why is it there? It looks like it blew off of the neighbor's house and landed there.

I wouldn't call it a cupola because there are no openings. Cupolas usually have openings for light or ventilation.

I'd almost call it a pinnacle, but pinnacles are usually set on towers, not over flat roofs.

How about teepee?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not a cupola. Everyone I associate w/calls them turrets.

Most of the time, they are located @ a corner of the building, and there is usually a sidewall "tower" ornament running down the corner. On commercial buildings of the time, the entrance was very often @ the corner of the building, under the turret tower.

Kibbel will know what the right term is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...