mixed bag of questions

Had my first inspection in a while yesterday. Please tell me all Septembers are not that slow.

Anyway, this was a 1930ish house. The age of this house indicates that this is galvanized but, how do I know for sure?

Image Insert:

200710652051_542%20Kings%20Highway%20019.jpg

232.08 KB

Is it alright to have the service drop laying on top of these other wires?

Image Insert:

20071065239_542%20Kings%20Highway%20006.jpg

256.32 KB

thanks

I call it galvanized. The dull silver finish is the zinc coating. I've read about un-coated steel pipes used back in the 1800's, but galvanized was very common by the 1930. Lead pipes looking nothing like your picture, they have a very unique union that looks a bit like a tulip bulb, and of course it is neither plastic nor copper.

Regarding the electrical line. I would note it and recommend they contact the utility company. In some areas the home owner is responsible for the line that runs from the pole to the house and the utility company is responsible for the line that runs between poles. But I would bet that the utility company would not want that line resting on the other one and would come out and correct.

Hey Chad,

thanks for the response. I figured the same thing, but when I ran multiple fixtures, the water volume was still good, even at the second floor bathroom.

I dont measure water pressure. I wonder what percentage of inspectors are testing pressure, and those inspectors are testing every home they inspect? or just when they see a problem that may indicate low pressure?

Originally posted by NJinspector

Hey Chad,

thanks for the response. I figured the same thing, but when I ran multiple fixtures, the water volume was still good, even at the second floor bathroom.

I don't measure water pressure. I wonder what percentage of inspectors are testing pressure, and those inspectors are testing every home they inspect? or just when they see a problem that may indicate low pressure?

I test the pressure on about 50% of my inspections, it all depends on what I find when I turn it on. I'm not testing for low pressure, but rather for "High" pressure over 80 psi.

I test for pressure on every house, a lot of my inspections are in newer suburbs that were built and then they got a new water tower with high pressure.

Anything over 80 lbs needs a regulator, and I have NEVER seen an expansion tank even when they put in a regulator.

Some times the regulator is hidden and I might sneek next door and check their pressure just out of curiosity.

Originally posted by NJinspector

Had my first inspection in a while yesterday. Please tell me all Septembers are not that slow.

Anyway, this was a 1930ish house. The age of this house indicates that this is galvanized but, how do I know for sure?

USE A MAGNET. A MAGNET WILL NOT STICK TO BRASS, COPPER OR LEAD.
Is it alright to have the service drop laying on top of these other wires?

thanks

NO! BUT HOW WAS THE CONNECTION AT THE HOUSE? WHAT CAUSED THE LINE TO SAG SO MUCH?