info please intertherm baseboard heaters

kurt

• 9 years later...

I just moved into a condo with these intertherm baseboard heaters in the living room and the two upstairs bedrooms. The walls here are brick. I have been leaving the dial set at about 5 1/2 or 6 all of the time, in each room, but my electric bill is crazy! Is there anything I can do to make it more efficient? 
I thought by leaving them on at a lower temp would be better because the brick is so cold, ideas? Oh also, downstairs the floors are laminate 😬 

Welcome to the world of heating with electricity. Electric heating is already 100% efficient. All of the electricity is turned into heat. You can't make it more efficient. You can conserve energy efficiency in other ways, but we can't tell you what those are without knowing where you are, how old your building is, and myriad other details about your building and your unit. Is there a possibility of installing mini-split heat pumps? Can you improve the seals on your windows? Are there other electric hogs, aside from the baseboard heaters, that might be sucking up energy? 

Why not consult with a local energy retrofit contractor?

22 hours ago, Dawnna said:

I just moved into a condo with these intertherm baseboard heaters in the living room and the two upstairs bedrooms. The walls here are brick. I have been leaving the dial set at about 5 1/2 or 6 all of the time, in each room, but my electric bill is crazy! Is there anything I can do to make it more efficient? 
I thought by leaving them on at a lower temp would be better because the brick is so cold, ideas? Oh also, downstairs the floors are laminate 😬 

If you're seeing the exterior brickwork from the inside of the condo, then it sounds like structural brick, with little, if any, insulation.  That's going to waste a lot of the heat that's produced inside the house, regardless of whether it's generated by electric heating strips or otherwise.

Edited by Marc

• 9 months later...

We built our house in 2009 (1700 square feet), and installed 14 of the Intertherm heaters.  We installed them ourselves using a number 12 wire. They work beautifully.  I would never have any other type of heat.  There are seven thermostats in our house.  Each bedroom has its own, one in the dining room, living room, utility room, and MY man cave.  One thing I like about them is there is no maintenance, except dusting.  The heat flow is very even and constant, when on. Ours came with a twenty year warranty, and expect them to go way beyond that.  We are total electric, but they do not cost a lot to operate.  We ive in Maine and it gets quite cold, but our electric bill is comparable to the cost when we were heating with oil and firewood, and much cleaner.  After the first couple of years we rearranged the heaters during the summer, and it was as simple as unhooking them, and hooking them to different thermostats.  We put the master bedroom bathroom on the dining room, a second bathroom attached to the thermostat in the guest room, and the half bath on the utility room.