Frost Free Sill Cocks

InspktorJim

Hi

I have two 1/2 inch frost free sill cocks on my house, both at inconveinient places. They also have fairly low flow for using hose end sprinklers. (I am fortunate to have pressurized irrigation water for most of the growing season, but need additional water at the front and rear end of the season.) I have to move them, and would like to increase the water flow at the same time.

At this time, both are at the tail ends of 30+ foot 1/2 inch pex runs, and when you actually look at the working oriface for the water at the interior end of the sill cock, it is about 3/8 inch in diameter. I would like to increase the water flow. I researched the various stores and sill cock suppliers, I could not find anything over the current 1/2 inch. The only thing I did find are the frost free hydrants that are sunk 3 to 8 feet into the ground, and that is not workable.

I suspect that just increasing the pex size to the sill cock might some improvement, but not enough to make it worth while.

I know I could use the historic homes solution of having a standard sill cock, perhaps 3/4 inch, and an internal disconnect valve in the crawlspace, but it would be easy to forget turning it off prior to winter, and could be a problem upon selling it if a change was made that violated code.

Any suggestions?

Jim