Interior and Exterior on same GFCI circuit?

Renron

I inspected a 16 year old home today and found both bathrooms, the exterior, and garage recepticals all on the same 15 AMP GFCI breaker in the service panel. It seem like too much for 1 circuit to me. Funny thing is there was no GFCI circuit in the kitchen anywhere! Any help is gratefuly accepted and welcomed.

Ron

Obviously, in a new home this would be wrong as the bathroom receptacles should have their own circuit. Is this a "defect" in a 16 year old home? I have no idea. But it is something that I would definately point out to a client and suggest an upgrade to prevent nusiance tripping. I don't think that this circuit would like the wife drying her hair while hubby uses the electric mower.

We still have several differing codes and interpretations of these codes around this country.

I just finished building a house where the 1st floor bathroom and one out door outlet were on the same GFCI. The municipal inspector passed it with no problem. When I asked, he looked at me like I did not know what I was talking about.

Because they're so inexpensive today, most electricians in my area stick GFCI's everywhere.

But 15 years ago in my area it was quite common to see an outlet in the garage, the exterior, and maybe 2 bathrooms go back to 1 GFCI breaker in the main panel (cost savings).

In my area, the codes did not require a GFCI in the kitchen 15-16 years ago.

Dan Bowers