Dryer vent termination

kteitel

Hi,

Well, I found this after a short search. I'd search that chapter for more details.

G2439.5 (614.6) Clothes dryer ducts.

Exhaust ducts for domestic clothes dryers shall be constructed of metal and shall have a smooth interior finish. The exhaust duct shall be a minimum nominal size of 4 inches (102 mm) in diameter. The entire exhaust system shall be supported and secured in place. The male end of the duct at overlapped duct joints shall extend in the direction of airflow. Clothes dryer transition ducts used to connect the appliance to the exhaust duct system shall be metal and limited to a single length not to exceed 8 feet (2438 mm) in length and shall be listed and labeled for the application. Transition ducts shall not be concealed within construction.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Okay,

Disregard the previous. I went to the code (IRC 2003) and found this:

G2439.3 (614.4) Exaust Installation.

Dryer exhaust ducts for clothes dryers shall terminate on the outside of the building and shall be equipped with a backdraft damper. Screens shall not be installed at the duct terminations. Ducts shall not be connected or installed with sheet metal screws or other fasteners that will obstruct the flow. Clothes dryer exhaust duct shall not be connected to a vent connector, vent or chimney. Clothes dryer exhaust ducts shall not extend into or through ducts or plenums.

Now, this is the gas appliance section of the code. I suppose there might be something elsewhere in an HVAC section that talks about where to locate the AC unit that prohibits that, but I don't have time to search for it right now.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by kteitel

Is there code about dryer vent location? The builder placed the dryer vent with 1 ft of the A/C unit.

Kevin Teitel

House-Pro Inspection

There's nothing in the code that prohibits it.

I still note it in my report every time I see it. Dryer lint can really muck up an evaporator coil. Especially the American Standard/Trane coils. Have you every tried to clean one of those? It's a nightmare.

- Jim Katen, Oregon