new windows

We are trying to pick windows for a new home being built. Could any home inspectors suggest what brands they would recommend and/or which ones to stay away from. I understand most issues with window performance have a great deal to do with installation. Looking for mid price, good quality, tried and true mfg.

Marvin, Anderson, Pozzi. Weathershield used to make total crap, but now they make some good product.

The window industry is centralizing like everything else; I think Jeld-Wen bought Pozzi, and a lot of the lines are looking similar w/similar hardware.

You are right. Window performance is largely about installation. I've got a document somewhere indicating that 87% of all window problems are installation related, and something like 90% of all windows have some sort of installation defect, i.e., no one installs them right.

Originally posted by Marita

We are trying to pick windows for a new home being built. Could any home inspectors suggest what brands they would recommend and/or which ones to stay away from. I understand most issues with window performance have a great deal to do with installation. Looking for mid price, good quality, tried and true mfg.

Take Kurt M's advice on manufacturers.

Also, before the installation starts, get copies of the manufacturer's installation specifications. Photograph and otherwise document the installation of the windows. If the installation doesn't match the manufacturer's specs, stop the job and make the installers -- or whatever other contractor you might hire -- do the installation right.

It's almost certain that the windows we be installed contrary to the manufacturer's specs. So, it's likely that they'll leak. You'll want to have documentation of any screwups that turn into problems.

WJid="blue">

Andersen stands behind their windows. I had the original welded glass windows that had a lifetime guarantee. I also kept the original sales receipts. Two sashes lost their seals and Andersen replaced them no charge. They also have a good supply of parts at Home Despot as well as a good on line parts order system.