Tense Time For Ferry Riders

hausdok

Hi All,

We had a little bit of a windstorm last Thursday. As it usually does, it knocked down a bunch of trees, totaled a few peoples' houses and autos and killed one guy. Ross Fotheringham, a photographer from Mill Creek, WA, went down to the Mukiliteo ferry dock during the storm and took some pictures of a ferry leaving Mukilteo enroute for Whidbey Island. Somehow, I think that when you see these pictures, you'll agree that there were some tight sphincter muscles among the riders on the ferry that day.

Just click here to see some truly spectacular shots.

To see some of Ross' other work, click here.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Quoted by hausdok "Hi All,

We had a little bit of a windstorm last Thursday. As it usually does, it knocked down a bunch of trees, totaled a few peoples' houses and autos and killed one guy. One of my former students went down to the Mukiliteo ferry dock during the storm and took some pictures of a ferry leaving Mukilteo enroute for Whidbey Island. Somehow, I think that when you see these pictures, you'll agree that there were some tight sphincter muscles among the riders on the ferry that day.

His commentary follows."

It's always interesting to see someone else claiming copyrights on a photo you know you took and own. Never seen it happen so quick on a photo I took only last week. Also sad that your student also plagiarized my original text which was also stolen from another website. In the end it shows a blatant disrespect for all fellow photographers’ on the internet, and backs up the anti-web view so many talented photog’s have.

If you’d like to see the original post your student stole the text and photo’s from, please visit the following link:

http://www.snowest.com/fusetalk/message ... erthread=y

If anyone wants to see the original photo’s before the copyright was cropped out, please visit

http://www.pbase.com/trackside_photography

Like so many of you I spend a lot of my personal time and money to share these photo's with you as you have with me. Too bad some take advantage of that.

Hi Ross,

I've removed the articles and have changed the text and simply added a link to your site. Thank you for bringing this my attention. First, I need to address the way the photos were displayed on TIJ with a copyright crediting them to Leon. For the record, Leon didn't add the copyright text to the photos - I did. I received an unsigned email from Leon containing the photos with the text shown from your first link. I thought folks would like to see the photos, but I wanted to give credit where I thought credit was due, while at the same time protecting the person that I mistakenly believed was the photographer; so I added the copyright text on behalf of Leon.

As it turns out, after seeing your post, I went to my deleted email files to look again at the original email from Leon. Only then did I realize that he hadn't been the source of the email, he'd simply forwarded it to me without comment. So, it isn't Leon who should be blamed for this faux pas - unless you count his forwarding the photos without an adequate explanation - it's me. If anyone should be embarrased, it should be me, and, believe me, I am. I should have looked more carefully at that email before I posted it's content to TIJ. My sincere apologies to you and to TIJ's members for the screw up.

By the way, those are some truly nice shots. I wish I had that kind of talent.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Ross,

Those were some nice shots. I visited your pbase galleries and I've got to complement you on some excellent photos.

My favorite shot of yours is "Stevens Blizzard." I don't know much about digital photography but, with film, I know that would have been a very tough shot to pull off. I love the way the green of the boxcar sort of seeps out of the background. There's a nice distinction between the texture of the snow on the ground and the snow in the air. And the composition is very dramatic.

How long did you have to stand out in the snow and how many shots did you have to take to get that?

The bubble series is mezmerizing. I especially like the one with the image of the fence in it that looks like teeth.

- Jim Katen, Oregon