Hot Water From Boiler System

dtontarski

2007102733655_Tankless%20Hot%20Water.jpg

The most common installation I see for homes which get their hot water via a hydronic heating boiler are the indirect-fired systems with tanks. I've yet to see a boiler with tankless coils for this purpose. The home I inspected last evening had no evidence of a tank or coils. It appears that there is no isolation of the potable water from what is traveling through the boiler and the water at all faucets was close to 130. I'm heading back to this property on Sunday to retrieve my radon monitor and have a chance to take a second look. Any advice on what I should be looking for that would make this install acceptable?

What is the main source of heat for this home? Is it a hydronic system and if so is this the boiler for heating?

A few things: The piping is awful, looks like a hack put the boiler in. I love the poly tubing for the makeup water. I don't see a backflow preventer. It's hard for me to make out but is that boiler sitting on a wood floor? Is that the T/P valve is on the right rear of the boiler? Does the flue have proper clearances? Is the city water galvanized or just silver painted copper? Any makeup air to the "boiler room"? I'm sure there's a lot more wrong here. Best thing they can do is get a good HVAC contractor out there.

To the main question though, I don't think this boiler is supplying hot water for potable use. It looks like it's a three zone system. Did you find three or four thermostats in the house? On the bizarre chance that they are taking boiler water for potable use; run a few faucets and see if the makeup water line to the boiler starts to get cold. In any case I'd dig around more on Sunday to nail down the source of hot water.

Let us know what you find.

This boiler provides hydronic heating to 2-floors of this home. There is a thermostat on each floor. These 2-thermostats controlled hot water circulation to all rooms. The finished basement and third floor have radiant electric baseboards.

The boiler is on concrete. It has a pressure release valve, but no extension pipe, and the other issues you point out were noted and a recommendation for further evaluation is planned.

I searched all four finished floors for another source of hot water and found none. I'll do as you suggested on Sunday. Thanks.

Originally posted by dtontarski

This boiler provides hydronic heating to 2-floors of this home. There is a thermostat on each floor. These 2-thermostats controlled hot water circulation to all rooms. The finished basement and third floor have radiant electric baseboards.

The boiler is on concrete. It has a pressure release valve, but no extension pipe, and the other issues you point out were noted and a recommendation for further evaluation is planned.

I searched all four finished floors for another source of hot water and found none. I'll do as you suggested on Sunday. Thanks.

The picture shows three zone valves and one circulator. There has to be a third zone and that may or may not be the water heater. It could be an indirect unit fed from the boiler like a Boiler Mate or such. But there is no question that there are three zones. The water heater may look like a water tank, Blue in color, or like a tall box, white in color, which are the two most prominent in use.