Jump to content

Sometimes They Buy Them Anyway


hausdok
 Share

Recommended Posts

I've seen many a couple buy a crap house because it looked like something they've dreamed about.

For years, I've noticed that when Yankees move down South, and find a house that looks to be what they'd call rustic and/or romantic, and if those Yankees can see cows from their kitchen window, they're buying the house, even if it's on fire.

As soon as they move in, the first thing they do is run out and buy a wood bin that has "Taters" incised into the lid.

WJ

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by SonOfSwamp

I've seen many a couple buy a crap house because it looked like something they've dreamed about.

For years, I've noticed that when Yankees move down South, and find a house that looks to be what they'd call rustic and/or romantic, and if those Yankees can see cows from their kitchen window, they're buying the house, even if it's on fire.

As soon as they move in, the first thing they do is run out and buy a wood bin that has "Taters" incised into the lid.

WJ

So, do the staging companies in Nashville haul around cow trailers and pay the neighbors to stake those cows within sight of the house?

OT - OF!!!

M.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

....and they have a vanity license plate hung on the back of their Winnebago that says "We're spending our childrens' inheritance", or similar drivel about who they are and what they're doing.

Them ain't Yankees, 'cuz no real Yankee would move to Nashville. Real Yankees stay right where they are, and make sure everyone knows how long they've been there.

Them are Midewesterners, or similarly resolute goofballs, thinking they're finally moving someplace where everything is downhome wonderful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"But even if they drill a dozen piers into the soil, there is no guarantee they will find bedrock. " taken from the article.

There is no guarantee that any foundation will not fail at some point given a combination of stress factors.

In some areas there is no bed rock to be found. Perhaps only expansive soil exists until a bed of shale, sand or gravel is reached.

The foundation needs to be designed to accommodate existing soil type which in some instances means have a floating slab, or a "super" slab. Other options exist in different areas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You're talking to the choir, Al,

It's not about soil conditions - at least not insofar as why I linked it to TIJ. It's pretty clear that the author of the article is referring to soil conditions in the San Francisco bay area. That was the point of her article for her local readers. From my point of view, the article is interesting to home inspectors because it illustrates how sometimes folks will even purchase homes that we'd run away from screaming.

Been hunting lately?

OT - OF!!!

M.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by kurt

....and they have a vanity license plate hung on the back of their Winnebago that says "We're spending our childrens' inheritance", or similar drivel about who they are and what they're doing.

Them ain't Yankees, 'cuz no real Yankee would move to Nashville. Real Yankees stay right where they are, and make sure everyone knows how long they've been there.

Them are Midewesterners, or similarly resolute goofballs, thinking they're finally moving someplace where everything is downhome wonderful.

Well, that's probably right, given that I-65 is so very convenient.

Bear in mind, though, that true Southerners call all "Non-Southerners" Yankees. I had some customers from Wyoming get really mad because people here kept calling 'em Yankees.

BTW, my next-door neighbors are Yankees.

WJ

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by SonOfSwamp

BTW, my next-door neighbors are Yankees.

WJ

Matter of fact, so are mine.

There's so much more that everyone has in common than they imagine; we have more in common than we have in differences.

Southerner's don't see that, though. I still hold the scars from a pickup softball game in Boone, NC, about 30 years ago. I was in Mabel, (a small hamlet outside of Boone), and a bunch of locals were gathering for a game @ the local field; I grabbed my mitt, put on the spikes, and headed onto the field. Everything was cool until they heard me talk. Then, they wouldn't toss me the ball, even though I was playing 2nd base. My own team wouldn't throw a runner out because they'da had to throw me the ball.

What sort of folks think like that? Stuffed up-ti-ness isn't the exclusive domain of uptight Yank's.

For the record, I had coffee several times w/Doc Watson @ Boone Drug, and his son Merle (God Bless his guitar picking soul), were both the kindest & friendliest Southerner's I've ever bumped into.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by kurt

Originally posted by SonOfSwamp

BTW, my next-door neighbors are Yankees.

WJ

Matter of fact, so are mine.

There's so much more that everyone has in common than they imagine; we have more in common than we have in differences.

Southerner's don't see that, though. I still hold the scars from a pickup softball game in Boone, NC, about 30 years ago. I was in Mabel, (a small hamlet outside of Boone), and a bunch of locals were gathering for a game @ the local field; I grabbed my mitt, put on the spikes, and headed onto the field. Everything was cool until they heard me talk. Then, they wouldn't toss me the ball, even though I was playing 2nd base. My own team wouldn't throw a runner out because they'da had to throw me the ball.

What sort of folks think like that? Stuffed up-ti-ness isn't the exclusive domain of uptight Yank's.

For the record, I had coffee several times w/Doc Watson @ Boone Drug, and his son Merle (God Bless his guitar picking soul), were both the kindest & friendliest Southerner's I've ever bumped into.

I believe every word of that. I had Brooklynite subway-booth minders correct my pronunciation of "ten." And I know for a fact that any given pack of feral Southern rednecks probably needs killin'. As you know, I moved from the Deep South to the Mid-South, where all we've got is the less-dangerous pinknecks.

My Wisconsin buddy Jim (architectural historian) says his daddy told him early on: "A Southern accent is a sign of ignorance."

The times, they're a-changing real slow...

WJ

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by SonOfSwamp

For years, I've noticed that when Yankees move down South, and find a house that looks to be what they'd call rustic and/or romantic, and if those Yankees can see cows from their kitchen window, they're buying the house, even if it's on fire.

As soon as they move in, the first thing they do is run out and buy a wood bin that has "Taters" incised into the lid.

WJid="blue">

That "tater" bin was undoubtedly made in China. Other than flea markets catering to tourists, I've never seen one.[;)]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by SonOfSwamp

Originally posted by kurt

Originally posted by SonOfSwamp

BTW, my next-door neighbors are Yankees.

WJ

Matter of fact, so are mine.

There's so much more that everyone has in common than they imagine; we have more in common than we have in differences.

Southerner's don't see that, though. I still hold the scars from a pickup softball game in Boone, NC, about 30 years ago. I was in Mabel, (a small hamlet outside of Boone), and a bunch of locals were gathering for a game @ the local field; I grabbed my mitt, put on the spikes, and headed onto the field. Everything was cool until they heard me talk. Then, they wouldn't toss me the ball, even though I was playing 2nd base. My own team wouldn't throw a runner out because they'da had to throw me the ball.

What sort of folks think like that? Stuffed up-ti-ness isn't the exclusive domain of uptight Yank's.

For the record, I had coffee several times w/Doc Watson @ Boone Drug, and his son Merle (God Bless his guitar picking soul), were both the kindest & friendliest Southerner's I've ever bumped into.

I believe every word of that. I had Brooklynite subway-booth minders correct my pronunciation of "ten." And I know for a fact that any given pack of feral Southern rednecks probably needs killin'. As you know, I moved from the Deep South to the Mid-South, where all we've got is the less-dangerous pinknecks.

My Wisconsin buddy Jim (architectural historian) says his daddy told him early on: "A Southern accent is a sign of ignorance."

The times, they're a-changing real slow...

WJ

See there is some one lumping all of us southerns together.

That just like saying all home inspectors are the same.

High Tech Redneck

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by kurt

There's so much more that everyone has in common than they imagine; we have more in common than we have in differences.

Absolutely true, but don't we all just love our differences?

I've always though New Englander's and Southern's had a lot in common. Rural backbone, funny accents, fiscally frugal-till-it-hurts, etc.

What sort of folks think like that? Stuffed up-ti-ness isn't the exclusive domain of uptight Yank's.

Mean, stupid people are everywhere. They'll seize on any excuse to do what they secretly ache to do all day every day, share their inner misery.

Brian G.

My Wife Is a Yankee (but Momma eventually forgave me) [:-dev3]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...