acronyms

I've met quite a few inspectors whose talents, thoughts and abilities impress the heck out of me.

Most hang out here but I've met a couple folks training in Albany and through other inspectors.

The best of the best, the smartest of the smartest are the least likely to have an acronym following their signatures. I think they realize until there is an acronym with some real credibility that it's a ploy to pull the wool over the clients' eyes. Chest puffing, feather showing, throat bloating and hair raising techniques for bluffing.

The difference between the animal kingdom and us is that the animals use those tactics to intimidate their adversaries. Inspectors use them to confound their clients.

Chad Fabry Bored Certified

Good thought!

I must admit that I engage in that sort of behavior in our office. One wall in my office has accolades, certificates, licenses, etc, all framed and hanging. There are some legal requirements for posting the licenses, but most of the stuff is "my choice".

I encourage other inspectors, in our office, to do the same. When a client comes in or a reeeltor stops by, there is a physical representation of what we are all about.

Besides, on a dark gloomy Friday morning, it makes an old man feel good!

It's a continuing embarassment for the profession, which I try not to notice; it makes my hair hurt. There's some guy in Chicago really flogging his "First Board Certified Master Inspector in Chicago" thingiemabob.

Where do we find such men?

GARY!!! Nice job, brother of us all. Looking @ that picture is heartwarming.

Brad, that's cool and quite appropriate!

Les, I was offered a job in California flying this full-time for $14,000/year. The general rule was: To make a small fortune in aviation, you need to start with a large fortune.

HOWEVER, the guys flying the really big stuff for FedEx and UPS have fantastic jobs, pay and benefits - and they don't have to put up with passengers. (I'd recommend any pilot get Naval aviator training.)

Image Insert:

20071128340_Metro.jpg

7.57 KB

Originally posted by Brad Manor

..... and anagrams are fun!! Did you know you can re-arrange the letters in "Home Inspector" to spell "Hermetic Snoop"??

-Brad

Hermetic=adj: Isolated, away from outside influence.

Brad, you really must have your tubes put back together and get back in the saddle. I think you're starting to lose it . . .

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by Brad Manor

..... and anagrams are fun!! Did you know you can re-arrange the letters in "Home Inspector" to spell "Hermetic Snoop"??

-Brad

Hermetic=adj: Isolated, away from outside influence.

I took up the challenge to rearrange the letters in copyeditor and came up with "rip ye to doc." Don't know if that makes too much sense, but sometimes I do rip up the page with red marks. That might make a client want to see the doc. Or if it were "rip ye to cod," it might induce an urge to fish instead of to write.

P.S. What a handsome pair of dudes, Gary!

Bonnie, absolutely no reflection on you at all, but "been ignorant" is an anagram of your name. Also "nitrogen bean". [;)]

There's a fun anagram "solver" at http://www.ssynth.co.uk/~gay/anagram.html that will spew out possibilities.

One of mine is "heroic ramrod". I like it!

As for "Home Inspector" the choices include "speech monitor" and "compost herein"!

Originally posted by Brian G

The "solver" is neat. My favorite from my name is "madbrain goon".

Brian G.

What's In A Name? [;)]

LOL...obviously some are more fitting than others! [:P]

My lovely better half, Denise Anderson, usually eats out with friends rather than me as she loves all sorts of ethnic foods that I, as a meat & potatoes guy, can't stomach. Her anagram works out to "seasoned dinner".

Heroic Ramrod

Arse Dusters Conceive Stripiness

Lets Eat, Snowing Hat, USA

www.insectrap.com

Acronyms = alphabet soup

John Q. Public has no idea what most of that stuff means.

As Gary the proud papa said, titles are a different animal.

I think it's great that people earn titles or designations (acronyms). Chad makes some astute observations about what people choose to put after their names. Les has all that wallpaper in his office and he is rightfully proud of it. I've never been to Les' office. On this message board he just signs his name 'Les'. Yet, when Les writes something, I pay attention.

Brandon

Bored Certifiable Scatologist

I do the same thing, Brandon. Les, Mike, Walter, Chad, Kurt, Jimmy, Brandon, and the list goes on. Cool, huh!

But we have histories here. The sad thing about acronyms is that they are meant to impress in the absence of anything meaningful. Naive consumers (majority???) are often suckered by acronyms. The smart ones get references.

Originally posted by Al Austin

Gary said: "Titles however, are meaningful."

They are. Bogus ones from bogus groups do mislead the public.

Certified Master Inspector or Master Certified Inspector might be considered as questionable if associated with an online Nachos certification mill.

Very odd. The original post said something about the value of education and it's been changed to the above. What's up with that?

Originally posted by Brandon Chew

Originally posted by Al Austin

Gary said: "Titles however, are meaningful."

They are. Bogus ones from bogus groups do mislead the public.

Certified Master Inspector or Master Certified Inspector might be considered as questionable if associated with an online Nachos certification mill.

Very odd. The original post said something about the value of education and it's been changed to the above. What's up with that?

Some people just seem to have a need to walk into a bar and spit in someone's eye.

It's usually best to just ignore those folks.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

If the topic is just acronyms then the subject of education and degrees is off topic.

If the subject of titles then the abbreviations after ones name such as degrees which do matter.

Maybe the original poster was not sufficiently clear in his distinction.

At this point it does not matter in the slightest since the original premise could be a bit too vague. It it no real loss.

I would much rather than discuss education over abbreviations or other word / letter / alphabet soup.

From a previous posted that was related to Education.

Three simplistic axioms.

1. Education does matter. 2. Quality education matters even more. 3. Education is an ongoing process.

If you do not believe that is true look at the evidence of people who do not stay up with the changing times, news and technology. They often face difficult challenges that others find as simple tasks.

Granted with time / age the brain tends to be less flexible through atrophy (due to slower chemical and neural networking) and past more established patterns of thought tend to be frequently repeated. Older entrenched repeated patterns tend to create inflexibility and impasses that leads to recessive patterns of reactionary behavior and self-defeating resistance when presented with the challenges of new situations.

The more axioms in a lay language: 1. Old dogs may have a hard time learning new tricks. 2. The brain is like a muscle, if you do not use it, you lose it. 3. One usually gets what they deserve.

Conclusion: If you want to learn more, exercise your brain on a regular basis. If you exercise it in a proper manner, you might achieve professional recognition for your accomplishments.

Here are a few appropriate links.

http://www.amazon.com/Theory-Resistance ... 089789796X

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_pedagogy

http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/cu ... o=ED163851

Al,

I find it quite curious that you would post those links. I am not a fan of Giroux, so maybe my perspective is a little off as to how it relates.

I agree with the thread drift statement, but seldom see the harm in wandering off the path a little. I guess I am feeling a little inadequate regarding my writing ability to discuss it via the forum.