acronyms

Originally posted by Al Austin

If the topic is just acronyms then the subject of education and degrees is off topic.

If the subject of titles then the abbreviations after ones name such as degrees which do matter.

Maybe the original poster was not sufficiently clear in his distinction.

At this point it does not matter in the slightest since the original premise could be a bit too vague. It it no real loss.

I would much rather than discuss education over abbreviations or other word / letter / alphabet soup. . .

Al, before you get your panties in any more of a wad, I'll mention that OT - OF!!! in Mike's signature line refers to the motto, "One Team. One Fight!!!"

I believe the point is that we should work together rather than bicker.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Back to the original post; has anyone noticed how the brits have such a penchant for acronyms? Jeez, I visited a British home inspector's website the other day and then clicked on a link to listen to a podcast about their new home inspection law and, I swear, half of the conversation was meaningless to me because I didn't know the meanings of all of the acronyms they were using. WTFITAA?

OT - OF!!!

M.

Al,

I found your provided links interesting. Everybody here believes learning is a life process.

Your generic argument about acronym mills being less than useless is also agreeable.

Only when you nacho-ized the commentary did people hear the fingernails screech. This site accepts ideas from all, no mattter their affiliation or lack thereof.

Such acceptance happened via some painful evolution and any sign of reverting to 'the bad old days' causes our knees to hit our foreheads.

Share thoughts - please, but not prejudice...

OF = Off topic

OF=

Entry: of

Pronunciation: \#601;v, before consonants also #601;; #712;#601;v, #712;äv\

Function: preposition

Etymology: Middle English, off, of, from Old English, adverb & preposition; akin to Old High German aba off, away, Latin about from, away, Greek apo

Date: before 12th century

1—used as a function word to indicate a point of reckoning

2 a—used as a function word to indicate origin or derivation b—used as a function word to indicate the cause, motive, or reason c: by d: on the part of e: occurring in

3—used as a function word to indicate the component material, parts, or elements or the contents

4 a—used as a function word to indicate the whole that includes the part denoted by the preceding word b—used as a function word to indicate a whole or quantity from which a part is removed or expended

5 a: relating to : about b: in respect to

6 a—used as a function word to indicate belonging or a possessive relationship b—used as a function word to indicate relationship between a result determined by a function or operation and a basic entity (as an independent variable)

7—used as a function word to indicate something from which a person or thing is delivered or with respect to which someone or something is made destitute

8 a—used as a function word to indicate a particular example belonging to the class denoted by the preceding noun b—used as a function word to indicate apposition

9 a—used as a function word to indicate the object of an action denoted or implied by the preceding noun b—used as a function word to indicate the application of a verb or of an adjective

10—used as a function word to indicate a characteristic or distinctive quality or possession

Originally posted by Les

Jim,

Do you mean to say that OT - OF does not stand for Old Timer - Old Fart? Completely got by me.

Seriously, I had completely forgotten about the One Team One Fight saying until I came to Inspector's Journal. I liked it then and I like it now!

Thanks for the One Team One Fight description of OT OF. Before Mike's branding of it, the OT OF thing was new to me. Maybe it came from sports competition.

It is so much clear to type it out and avoid the confusion.

The only such abbreviated grouping I use is GFCI that is written out in reports. For field notes I use lots of abbreviations but those are not read by anyone except my self.