Electronic Furnace Filters

Jerry Simon

I take out the filter & the pre-filter; show my client how to install them (arrow direction) and tell them how to clean them (in dishwasher).

Next, I re-insert them, make sure the power is on and bang on the side of the return duct. This usually releases some dust that gets zapped. If no zap is heard, I press the test button.

Darren

www.aboutthehouiseinspections.com

Uh,

Darren, If I were you, I'd stop telling people to clean those things in the dishwasher. I don't know about you, but I really don't want pet hair and all that funk getting rinsed off and clogging up my dishwasher. It's very simple just to spray them with some detergent, let it soak for a while and then rinse them with a garden hose and then reinstall them.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Originally posted by hausdok

Uh,

Darren, If I were you, I'd stop telling people to clean those things in the dishwasher. I don't know about you, but I really don't want pet hair and all that funk getting rinsed off and clogging up my dishwasher. It's very simple just to spray them with some detergent, let it soak for a while and then rinse them with a garden hose and then reinstall them.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Why wouldn't Darren tell them what the manufacturer states in the maintenance instructions?

I will admit that the new Honeywell f-series instructions now state to wash the cells in the dishwasher, but not the prefilter screens.

Dishwasher.

The "dog hair" and cat hair balls all get caught in the prefilter; the only thing in the electrostatic part is very fine blackish dust. It doesn't trash the DW.

Dishwashing detergent has one of the most powerful surfactants there is (it sez so on the box!).

I got zapped once. I don't remember the details but I remember the shock.

Obviously, I forgot to turn the switch off before opening.

Or . . . I think it was one of those European style on-off indicators. Most all of them are I think. Anyway, I still get confused between the "o" and the "-" marks. Can never remember which one's "on" and which one's "off".

I've put mine in the dishwasher for 15 years now. I've never had a problem with a 'funky' dishwasher or broken wires.

The only 'problem' I've had is when you take them out, sometimes you'll find little 'balls' on the wires; those you just pick off by hand.

To me it's a tried and true method; nothing special and as Bill points out, recommended by the manufacture.

One other note; my report says something along the lines that the electronic air cleaner is beyond the scope of the inspection, it was operated and (hopefully) working; YOU (the client) should confirm operation during final walk-thru.

Darren

www.aboutthehouseinspections.com