ritetemp thermostat on a gas boiler system...

willpope

I'm replacing an old mercury thermostat with a new ritetemp thermostat 8050C...there are a dozen connector terminals, and awful directions...I have a red, white a green wire coming out of the wall, and need to connect each (actually the green ground was never connected to anything. Anyone know where the red and white should go? (out of a choice of C, W2, RC, O, B, RH, W, Y, G, A?)

Originally posted by willpope

I'm replacing an old mercury thermostat with a new ritetemp thermostat 8050C...there are a dozen connector terminals, and awful directions...I have a red, white a green wire coming out of the wall, and need to connect each (actually the green ground was never connected to anything. Anyone know where the red and white should go? (out of a choice of C, W2, RC, O, B, RH, W, Y, G, A?)

First off the new ritetemp t/stat is a heat pump t/stat. You have a boiler system - it is single stage of heat only.

I'd take the thermostat back to where you got it and buy an electronic thermostat for a conventional system, not a heat pump.

IF the person that wired it originally did it correctly then your Red wire goes to R on the thermostat, the W wire goes to the W terminal and the G wire goes to the G terminal.

R = 24V Hot

W = Heat

G = FAN

This is for a conventional forced hot air system. With the boiler system you obviously do not have a fan so, I assume that the installer ran a three color t/stat wire but the G wire would go to the C terminal of the thermostat. C is the common of the 24V transformer.

When you took the old thermostat apart did you note which terminals the wires went to? Was the G wire even hooked up? The old one may have just connected the R and W wire. I'd would think that there were just two wires connected to the old stat.

Hope this helps.

• 1 year later...