expansion tank in water supply

John Dirks Jr

For the sake of this discussion consider that code requires expansion tanks on closed water supply systems in all new construction.

If a water heater is replaced in a older house, would you write it up if an expansion tank was not installed when the heater was replaced?

Do you leave it alone if it is an older water heater, considering that codes changes usually are not retroactive?

Kevin Richardson, if you see this thread, are expansion tanks required in the areas that you and I serve? Also, what about mounting electrical panels on plywood? Is that accepted in our area or should it always be non combustible material?

With some searching on the web I found that code now requires thermal expansion tanks in my county. What I want to know is this. If a water heater is replaced should an expansion tank be added where it did not exist prior?

You as an inspector noticed that the water heater was brand new. This means that it had to be replaced after the code went into effect. You notice that there was not an expansion tank added.

Would you comment and if so, how?

If I had the knowledge that my area required an expansion device (tank or valve) at the water heater I would note that one was not installed when the water heater was replaced, as it should have been.

Now if the home does not have a backflow device installed on the waterline, then it is not a closed system. So will the expansion tank or valve even work? Kind of a moot point, I would think.

Did you also check to see if the AHJ required a backflow device on homes, pre-existing and new?

Originally posted by AHI

For the sake of this discussion consider that code requires expansion tanks on closed water supply systems in all new construction.

That is the requirement for new construction.

Originally posted by AHI

If a water heater is replaced in a older house, would you write it up if an expansion tank was not installed when the heater was replaced?

I wouldn't write it up as a repair issue. However, I usually make a comment on verification of permits and suggest one be installed.

Originally posted by AHI

Do you leave it alone if it is an older water heater, considering that codes changes usually are not retroactive?

Remember, your inspection is not code compliant. Although installing a new hot water heater requires a building permit, not many home owners, or contractors for that matter obtain one. Again, I usually make a comment about checking and verifying that building permits were obtained and that the water heater installation does not meet current and established building practices.

Originally posted by AHI

Kevin Richardson, if you see this thread, are expansion tanks required in the areas that you and I serve? Also, what about mounting electrical panels on plywood? Is that accepted in our area or should it always be non combustible material?

Yes, they are required. Plywood is acceptable.

Kevin