Lotta Bull

It means that the barns were built into the side of a hill which provided access to two levels of the barn from the ground.

The lower level was generally used for livestock and the upper levels for some equipment and fodder.

Sadly, the style of construction makes those barns particularly ill suited to perform in today's world and they're being torn down to make way for banal boxes that are more practical.

Most often, the lower level was the milking parlor/dairy cow stall. Being bermed into the earth was about efficiency, both storage and energy; the berm & (usually) stone walls held in the heat in winter & the cool in summer.

Cows like that, and provided more milk. At least, that's what my dairy farmer neighbor told me when I was a kid. It always seemed true; the milking parlor was always warm in winter. It stunk too bad in summer to care if it was hot or cold.

Stealing ladels of unpasteurized ice cold fresh whole milk from the storage container will never be forgotten.

Bank barns had the added convience of being easy to load the hay mow by providing easy access to timber floor.

Bill would you call the floor a timber floor or a plank floor or a post and beam floor?

Now we know what happen to Kurt M during his childhood.

Has anyone ever hand cranked a Delavel Cream Seperator? Had a hell of a fly wheel!