cracked cast iron vent pipe

Ken Meyer

The 4" cast iron vent runs horizontally through the attic for a few feet from the bathroom before turning 90 degrees and going through the roof. There is a crack in the horizontal run. Since this is not carrying liquid, is there a way to patch it? Cutting out and replacing the section would involve having to resupport the vertical run of the pipe as it up through the roof.

Image Insert:

200711281720_IMGP0468%20copy.jpg

434.28 KB

Originally posted by Ken Meyer

The 4" cast iron vent runs horizontally through the attic for a few feet from the bathroom before turning 90 degrees and going through the roof. There is a crack in the horizontal run. Since this is not carrying liquid, is there a way to patch it? Cutting out and replacing the section would involve having to resupport the vertical run of the pipe as it up through the roof.

Why not just cut out and toss the whole mess from point where it enters the attic? Transition to ABS & be done with it.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by Jim Katen

Originally posted by Ken Meyer

Why not just cut out and toss the whole mess from point where it enters the attic? Transition to ABS & be done with it.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

That is the simplest and most sound approach, I should have thought of it.

• 3 weeks later...
There is a crack in the horizontal run. Since this is not carrying liquid, is there a way to patch it? Cutting out and replacing the section would involve having to resupport the vertical run of the pipe as it up through the roof

I may be getting a little picky, but I say that the pipe is designed to carry water (rain water). If the pipe is in that bad of shape where visible, who's to say there aren't other spots hidden spots that are deteriorated? I agree with the majority-- pipe should be replaced