Do Associations Stifle Dissenting Opinions?

In reading the entire court transcripts I find it sad that Nick would feel the need to go after a rival association (honest or not) as the court documents say.

I am a active NACHI member but this makes me wonder if NACHI is the right organization for me! There are numerous great inspectors that belong to NACHI but for Nick to act in this way, it gives all NACHI members a black eye and at least for me, question it's sole leadership position.

Rick,

That is good advice from Gary R. Your website could cause a little confusion about following the XXXX standards of practice, but not a member. You have some of the best AXXX members in your state and your state standards are meaningful.

These observations are coming from an inspector that reads inspection reports and investigates other inspectors looking for a chink in their armor. You seem to have an ideal background and education for this business!

Originally posted by Firencrash

In reading the entire court transcripts I find it sad that Nick would feel the need to go after a rival association (honest or not) as the court documents say.

I am a active NACHI member but this makes me wonder if NACHI is the right organization for me! There are numerous great inspectors that belong to NACHI but for Nick to act in this way, it gives all NACHI members a black eye and at least for me, question it's sole leadership position.

you joined in sept 06. your membership now expired.

looking for a reason not to renew or just to cheap?.

Peter,

my free membership expired also, several years ago. I found a reason not to renew. Oh ya, I am too cheap to buy a mail order Phd also.

Most comment about interNACHI is not about the good, fair, competant, nice, etc. members, it is about the organization.

you joined in sept 06. your membership now expired.

looking for a reason not to renew or just to cheap?

If you are looking to take a cheap shot at someone, at least put forth the energy to press "Click to verify" on his website logo. It shows that Rick is a member until Dec 20, 2007.

He is apparently a thinking person who doubts the wisdom of a previous decision. Good for him, I say.

The issue may have some roots in the "people". Maybe not, but likely.

Peter, my apology. I did not recognize this as a personal matter. I never intended to hurt your feelings, nor cast any aspersions.

I will try to get out more often and expand my experiences.

Originally posted by Les

The issue may have some roots in the "people". Maybe not, but likely.

Peter, my apology. I did not recognize this as a personal matter. I never intended to hurt your feelings, nor cast any aspersions.

I will try to get out more often and expand my experiences.

I just saw an ad on TV by Group Health I believe, they say that laughter can add 8 years to your life, Nachi/InterNachi and its corps or "faithful worshippers" are going to make me an old, old man.

Originally posted by Les

Lewis,

That is my secret to achieving this ripe old age!!

As our friend Nolan says "Cheers!"

... And I'm adding more years. I was removed from member's access at Nachi (... err ... I-Nachi) this past week all without any type of notification, advisement, e-mail, phone-call, carrier pigeon, semaphore flags, etc..

I sent several messages asking what was going on as my "free membership" was valid until February-2008. I got a message from Nick that an "audit" was done of my website.

Oh well ... it is what it is and not something to loose sleep over.

... Thanks Les for the comment on my "Cheers" .... I started using that many, many years ago when I was with The Associated Press in NYC and dealing with co-workers and clients in the UK. It has stuck and also helps me address each/every day in a very positive manner.

Originally posted by Nolan Kienitz

I was removed from member's access at Nachi this past week all without any type of notification, advisement, e-mail, phone-call, carrier pigeon, semaphore flags, etc..

you know the rules of nachi.

termination result of not following the rules.

claiming you were removed without notice is absurd.

Originally posted by pete moss

I was removed from member's access at Nachi this past week all without any type of notification, advisement, e-mail, phone-call, carrier pigeon, semaphore flags, etc..

you know the rules of nachi.

termination result of not following the rules.

claiming you were removed without notice is absurd.

Pete - I didn't say there was not a reason (whatever it was). I think that a message from someone at Nachi to me advising of the discrepancy would have been the professional and proper approach. I "was" removed "without" notice. Call it absurd if you like, but those are the facts.

Since I sent several messages asking "why" ... I have since been advised the reason and I have no problem with it.

It is what it is and that is fine with me.

Originally posted by Les

Lewis,

That is my secret to achieving this ripe old age!!

As our friend Nolan says "Cheers!"

... And I'm adding more years. I was removed from member's access at Nachi (... err ... I-Nachi) this past week all without any type of notification, advisement, e-mail, phone-call, carrier pigeon, semaphore flags, etc..

I sent several messages asking what was going on as my "free membership" was valid until February-2008. I got a message from Nick that an "audit" was done of my website.

Oh well ... it is what it is and not something to loose sleep over.

... Thanks Les for the comment on my "Cheers" .... I started using that many, many years ago when I was with The Associated Press in NYC and dealing with co-workers and clients in the UK. It has stuck and also helps me address each/every day in a very positive manner.

As I explained to you over there in "Nick's World", that was bound to happen, you can't post anything there the "Pack" could take as being derogatory to Nick and His CLub. Bushart and Farsetta's policy is that as a, now ex-member, you are not deserving of an explanation.

On their loudly declared Freedom or Speech Message board, you violated their "rules" by posting something they didn't like, so they had to find another reason to remove you, before you corrupted the sheep.

• 2 months later...

I was just removed from NACHI for posting a private email from Joe Farsetta that was not sent through the Nachi messaging system! I did not remove it (I refused to as he made false allegations) and was sacked by what can only be termed a corrupt ESOP committee. They tried to tell me I breached COE 3.3 which has nothing to do with posting a private email but only deals with ethics as it relates to inspections. Then they tried to tell me I breached the forum rules, which I didn't because there is no provision in it for posting private messages! It was a conspiracy to put it bluntly and done without the full ESOP committees knowledge.

I never paid for membership for several years (they had out free memberships and CMI). Then last fall I paid and found out again that free memberships were still being handed out. I asked for my money back and got it and remained a member until I peeved the ESOP and Nick.

No one has ever seen any bylaws or policy manuals, they just don't exist! Rules are made on the fly and you had better not ruffle feathers of certain individuals. These people have no concept of due process and when asked for explanation they dance around as all being and all knowing.

They are nothing but a bunch of con artists who like to abuse their positions and throw their weight around.

My opinion is stay away from Nachi or remain a non member and use their discussion board.

Raymond Wand

Originally posted by Raymond Wand

I was just removed from NACHI for posting a private email from Joe Farsetta that was not sent through the Nachi messaging system! I did not remove it (I refused to as he made false allegations) and was sacked by what can only be termed a corrupt ESOP committee. They tried to tell me I breached COE 3.3 which has nothing to do with posting a private email but only deals with ethics as it relates to inspections. Then they tried to tell me I breached the forum rules, which I didn't because there is no provision in it for posting private messages! It was a conspiracy to put it bluntly and done without the full ESOP committees knowledge.

I never paid for membership for several years (they had out free memberships and CMI). Then last fall I paid and found out again that free memberships were still being handed out. I asked for my money back and got it and remained a member until I peeved the ESOP and Nick.

No one has ever seen any bylaws or policy manuals, they just don't exist! Rules are made on the fly and you had better not ruffle feathers of certain individuals. These people have no concept of due process and when asked for explanation they dance around as all being and all knowing.

They are nothing but a bunch of con artists who like to abuse their positions and throw their weight around.

My opinion is stay away from Nachi or remain a non member and use their discussion board.

Raymond Wand

Now that's funny Ray, as a past defender of everything Nick/Nachi and as a former member of Bushart's Attack Pack don't you think that you may be acting like a hypocrit after attacking others and defending Nick, the ESOP Committee, CMI who have had the same thing happen to them?

I do understand you dismay at what happened to you but myself and others have been warning Nachi members not to disagree with the Great Ones for years. You and Cookie both attacked me for my views on your "Free Speech" message board, as I have explained repeatedly the only rule in Nachi is "Don't disagree with the Pack".

Now you and Cookie are crying about how unfairly you were treated, after you both spent many months defending Bushart/Farsetta/Caffero treating others in the same way.

Your offense was posting an email on the message board? Ask them why Burkeson is still a member, or Nick for that matter, along with other members of the "Committee" and their Pack who have done the same many, many times.....

I understand your dismay, me I had to work very hard for more than a year to make them kick me off the Island, you thought you were immune, but you forgot Nachi Eat Their Own.

You and Cookie are better off now, my bet is still that you will both be members again within a few months (days).

Aw come on, Guys,

Don't know if you've noticed it or not, but we try, although not always successfully, to keep the drama of the association soap operas out of here. After all, if we need to read that kind of drama, there are at least 3-4 other boards where we can go, shout at other folks and be generally rude, and then we can come back here and relax.

Sure, it's kind of dull around here, what with folks trying to be civil with one another and treat each other with respect, even when we often disagree - strongly - with each other, but we're generally happy with it and we generally learn more this way.

Life's good, enjoy being independent. I know I do.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Mike,

I am also an independant and a long time member of ASHI. Life is good for us and I suspect it would be just as good regardless of what association we are members of. (Bonnie should love that sentence!)

Nice folks are nice folks with and without much help from associations. Being independant works for you because you are fair, smart, educated, ambitious and have impecable manners. Most of us lack at least one of those qualities.

Originally posted by Les

Being independant works for you because you are fair, smart, educated, ambitious and have impecable manners. Most of us lack at least one of those qualities.

Jeez, I hope that the sponsors read that. They're always haranguing me about being an undiplomatic war mongering tyrant (or some such). [;)]

OT - OF!!!

M.

Originally posted by hausdok

Aw come on, Guys,

Don't know if you've noticed it or not, but we try, although not always successfully, to keep the drama of the association soap operas out of here. After all, if we need to read that kind of drama, there are at least 3-4 other boards where we can go, shout at other folks and be generally rude, and then we can come back here and relax.

Sure, it's kind of dull around here, what with folks trying to be civil with one another and treat each other with respect, even when we often disagree - strongly - with each other, but we're generally happy with it and we generally learn more this way.

Life's good, enjoy being independent. I know I do.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Sorry Mike but gross hypocricy sometimes sets me off.

Anyway what Raymond says happened to him pertains to the subject of this thread and offers the answer to the original question. Yes some associtions "stifle" dissenting opinions, one in particular.

Originally posted by Lewis Capaul

You and Cookie are better off now, my bet is still that you will both be members again within a few months (days).

Lewis (and Raymond),

You guys seemed well versed in the Nachi 'drama'. Tell us why people who leave that organization (forced out or otherwise) seem to go back. There must be something over there that draws them back!

Darren

www.aboutthehouseinspections.com

Lewis (and Raymond),

You guys seemed well versed in the Nachi 'drama'. Tell us why people who leave that organization (forced out or otherwise) seem to go back. There must be something over there that draws them back!

It's home inspector heroin. The contention and lack of personal contact add up to an exhilarating experience.

Even addicts know they're disgusting and repulsive; they just can't help themselves.

So, in the interest of capitalism and compassion, I've considered instituting a twelve step program that involves paying me cash every time a user slips off the wagon. Each of the twelve steps also involves paying me cash. I'll be like the drill sergeant: GIVE ME TWENTY!

Lewis said:

Wanna make a bet? A few others have left or will be leaving as a result. As I said before I walked away from Nachi and then went back with eyes wide open. Never paid for my membership either.

This time I am gone for good. I am also a RHI and former member of ASHI. I have been around and now seeing the irrelevance of memberships.

Cheers,