A failure to communicate

ALERT TO ALL WHO READ THIS THREAD!!!

Kurt's post is right on. OBSERVATION is what we do. You must look at it in order to see it. ANALYZE is also what we do. You must think about it in order that you draw a valid conclusion. DIRECT you must inform those involved in the transaction what must be done, not how to do it, this is what too many HIs don't do. Stating that which must be done is avoided by too many HIs for fear of alienating those with whom one may want to curry favor for future referrals. Thanks Mike for the word "curry"

Dennis, I stated in an earlier post that I have come to respect your philosophy. I hope you respect mine.

NORM SAGE

The "should v. must" debate is missing a point. I don't phrase it as a must; I tell them to fix it.

"The roof has multiple defects. Defective roofs leak & damage occurs. Fix the roof."

Obviously, I go into more detail depending on specifics, but that, in a nutshell, forms the basis of my reporting. There is no "must" or "should"; I tell them what to do. If they want to ignore it, OK.

For the very few complaints I have received, when I point out that I told them to fix something in point blank language & they chose not to do it, well, that's impossible to argue with.

Originally posted by chrisprickett

I use "recommend". I recommend that you fix it, if you don't that's up to you. I also recommend you use somebody who know's what the hell they're doing, not you cousin Cleetus.

That's pretty much my approach also. Only the most minor items get by without a direct recommendation. After noting the problem, mine read like "I recommend having a qualified (electrician, plumber, whatever is called for) repair / replace as needed." If it's something "ify" I'll say "evaluate / repair / replace as needed." I do not try to determine exactly what's needed, other than to caution against half-measures when I see the potential for them. The paid professional who's coming out to fix the problem will get the best and final look at the problem. He may see things in the course of the work that I could not. I want him to be on the hook if he does less than what's needed.

Brian G.

I figure it's the attorneys job to say what "must" be done, or the Clients job to tell their attorney what "must" be done. "Recommend" it be done, or say it "should" be done, fine. A lot of times, I "STRONGLY" recommend something be done. Like others said, if they don't do it, and suffer consequences, don't call me and a say I didn't warn you.

A flat-out statement like "Fix the roof" in a Report seems more like something that should be contained in an attorney's letter of reply with regards to the inspection results. Reads to me like a demand or an order.

Originally posted by Jerry Simon

I figure it's the attorneys job to say what "must" be done, or the Clients job to tell their attorney what "must" be done. "Recommend" it be done, or say it "should" be done, fine. A lot of times, I "STRONGLY" recommend something be done. Like others said, if they don't do it, and suffer consequences, don't call me and a say I didn't warn you.

A flat-out statement like "Fix the roof" in a Report seems more like something that should be contained in an attorney's letter of reply with regards to the inspection results. Reads to me like a demand or an order.

Well, to get specific......

My report is sort of a form; @ the bottom of each subject category , I have the "fix the .........." comments under a Sub-Heading called "Recommended or Required Repairs".

So, I kind of split the difference. No one seems to think I've been overbearing in the reportage, the attorneys like it, the customer understands it, the realtors hate it, and I still get to give the customer a direct order.

Originally posted by Brian G.

After noting the problem, mine read like "I recommend having a qualified (electrician, plumber, whatever is called for) repair / replace as needed." If it's something "ify" I'll say "evaluate / repair / replace as needed."

I should have also mentioned that if it's something that has the potential for property damage (roof or plumbing leak, etc.) or personal injury (electrical hazards, etc.) I "strongly recommend" and add the phrase "as soon as possible" to that.

I recently read a post by WJ where he said he used "The sooner the better."

Brian G.