General product Recall Question

sepefrio

The recent post on a new recall reminded me of what happen to me during a recent visit to a Realtor shop. I mentioned how after completing an inspection and when I returned to the office (got home[;) that I would check for recalls. One of the Realtors responded "I think thats my job not yours." I responded, OK great, less work for me, I'll just note on the report that you will provide recall information on everything in the house.

I know I was a smart ass, but that comes natural to me, but am I dumb too? Who's job is it to see if an item has been recalled? I kind of figured it was ours?

Note: I'm not talking about toasters or hair dryers, but installed equipment and major appliances (washer, dryer, Stove etc)

Hi,

Lots of folks think we shouldn't be checking for recalls at all. They look at calling recalls as sort of like the citing codes thing. There's this myth out there that if you advise someone of one recall but miss another that you'll get sued because you didn't know about the other recall. More inspectorlore; I've been doing it for nearly 12 years and it's never created a problem for me.

As for reel-tours doing it - I've never in all that time walked into a kitchen and begun checking serial numbers and then heard from the reel-tour, "Oh, you don't have to do that, I've already done it." Usually, I hear something like, "Really, how do you know?" at which point I allow them to read the recall.

It's really not necessary to check back at the office. You can print out every relevant recall, put them in a loose-leaf binder and leave it in your vehicle. Then you only need to carry the kitchen ones around inside your clipboard. It's the very first thing that Yung and I do after I've completed the pre-inspection briefing and gotten the PIA signed; that way, Yung can get on with her end of the inspection.

Don't allow reel-tours to tell you what it is that you do. If there is a reel-tour that wants to check recalls, that's fine for that reel-tour, but it doesn't mean that you shouldn't do it at every inspection that you do for that reel-tour's clients. Who knows? You might find something that's recalled which that reel-tour doesn't bother to tell the client about, in which case you'll have discovered that the reel-tour isn't simply a reel-tour but is a reel-tour-zoid and someone you might not want to accept referrals from.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Who cares if the realtor says he'll do something? If you think recall checking is a service that is important, then do it, regardless of what some goof says he'll do. Let's say you saw a HVAC coming out of the basement as you went in, and he said, "Don't worry about the furnace, I just checked it." Wouldn't you still do your thing?

Mike,

How often do you find a recalled kitchen appliance?

Originally posted by hausdok

Hi,

It's really not necessary to check back at the office. You can print out every relevant recall, put them in a loose-leaf binder and leave it in your vehicle. Then you only need to carry the kitchen ones around inside your clipboard. It's the very first thing that Yung and I do after I've completed the pre-inspection briefing and gotten the PIA signed; that way, Yung can get on with her end of the inspection.

Originally posted by Jesse

Who cares if the realtor says he'll do something? If you think recall checking is a service that is important, then do it, regardless of what some goof says he'll do. Let's say you saw a HVAC coming out of the basement as you went in, and he said, "Don't worry about the furnace, I just checked it." Wouldn't you still do your thing?

I agree. There have been many times that the seller, or Realtor, or whoever has told me "the furnace has just been certified" so not to worry. Some have even taped the certification paper to the furnace housing. I have found many, many problems with those furnaces, including many obvious ones (combustible clearances, loose vents, ect) that no decent HVAC person should have missed.

It dont matter... you still have to do your job.

Originally posted by AHIS

Mike,

How often do you find a recalled kitchen appliance?

Originally posted by hausdok

Hi,

Hi,

I'm not sure. It's not like I'm tracking those or anything. Maybe,...maybe, one in every 20 - 30 jobs. Two weeks ago, I had a recalled dishwasher; a week before that, an Insinkerator On-Demand water heater. Before that, nothing for a couple of months. Today, 3 recalled electric heaters all in the same home. I might go another week or another 10 weeks before I see another one.

OT - OF!!!

M.