Black & Decker - Auto Wrench

fqp25

Well, think about just how many times you need an adjustable wrench for anything.

Then think about paying anywhere from $19.95 to $29.99 (that's the price at the Sear's store where I'm working as a "Customer Solutions Consultant" during the HI/housing slowdown here) for a battery operated gizmo that does nothing more than open and close its jaws.

If you think it's worth it, buy it. We can't keep the things on the shelf at the store (but it's mostly wives/girlfriends buying a gadget for their S.O.'s.)

It'll amuse the giftee for a few minutes while he pushes the OPEN/CLOSE button a few times for each person he demonstates it to, then it'll go under the kitchen sink with the other wife tools.

Now, with that said, if you come to my store, I'll work like the dickens to sell you a few, and the roll-around tool boxes to store them in....[^]

"Would you like a table saw to go with that, sir?"

I use tools. I'm a tool fanatic. I'm pretty discerning.

It's a gizmo that'll likely leave you frustrated because it's so friggin huge. It'd be great if you had several dozen different sized fasteners to loosen or tighten in wide open spaces, but it's completely useless for other applications.

As far as adjustable wrenches go...I forebode them in my shop. They'll ruin a fastener faster than any other tool.

Here's the kicker: at home on the farm I use them frequently.

Keeping with the tool thread: I just purchased the B&D battery operated sawzall. So far I've cut a 36"x15" access hole in our ceiling, to gain access to the attic, 2 holes in my office wall to run RG213 coax and a single hole in our furnace room to route power wiring for the emergency generator. The little sawzall does a great job however my wife doesn't share the same view.

Originally posted by Chad Fabry

I use tools. I'm a tool fanatic. I'm pretty discerning.

As far as adjustable wrenches go...I forebode them in my shop. They'll ruin a fastener faster than any other tool.

Here's the kicker: at home on the farm I use them frequently.

The german trained mechanics I worked with used the derogatory term "Englander" for adjustable wrenches. They were dismayed when they saw one of us Americans pull one out of the tool bin.

"Don't use an Englander for that! Go get the proper tool now!"

Yea you guys are right. They're kind of cheesy, all they really do is open & close. But my brother in-law would like it. He isn't that mechanically inclined, and luckily gave up on trying to fix things himself.

I rarely use an adjustable wrench. I have an assorted collection of Snap-On & Craftsman, and just in case, a couple pairs of Channel Locks.

If you can still find any, I recommend the locking adjustable wrench instead (Stanley 85-610; 10"). It's bulkier at the handle for obvious reasons, but when you clamp that son of a gun onto a nut, it's there. It grabs far tighter than a standard wrench or socket, a.k.a."the right tool". Cost is about the same as the one you're considering.

Brian G.

Tool Addict [^]

• 2 weeks later...

This is the newest addition to my collection of toys tools. I brought it for the sole purpose of opening electrical panels. I find myself using it for a lot more.

It's got plenty of torque, holds a charge quite well and is small enough to carry around (it comes with a nifty holster).

It saves me time and effort, especially when dealing with multiple dwellings.

Image Insert:

2007122975717_IMG2394.jpg

37.25 KB