Hand rail

Phillip

R311.5.6.2 Continuity.

Handrails for stairways shall be continuous for the full length of the flight, from a point directly above the top riser of the flight to a point directly above the lowest riser of the flight. Handrail ends shall be returned or shall terminate in newel posts or safety terminals. Handrails adjacent to a wall shall have a space of not less than 1½ inch (38 mm) between the wall and the handrails.

Exceptions:

1. Handrails shall be permitted to be interrupted by a newel post at the turn.

2. The use of a volute, turnout, starting easing or starting newel shall be allowed over the lowest tread.

In other words, the handrail is OK

This is a new home and been on the market for a year. I know the code says that railing is ok for a hand rail. I fill with the balusters you make not get a good grip on it if you start to fall.

The basement stairs did not have a continuous hand rail and did not have enough light to see. Also rake flashing was used on the roof and the bricks at the bottom of the windows had a 5 degree slope. No weeps and flashing. Will these item get fixed? NO because the AHJ does not enforce these items.

Originally posted by hausdok

Yeah,

We actually have that in TIJ's library. It's here: https://www.inspectorsjournal.com/forum ... goto&id=67

All ya gotta do is look.

OT - OF!!!

M.

I did. A search of the library for "stairs" returns the City of Chicago Deck Guide and two chapters of the rehab manual, but nether of the documents to which I posted links.