Reasons to walk away from an Inspection

Originally posted by kurt

Originally posted by mthomas1

I've never done it, but I can imagine several kinds of situations in which it would be well worth forgoing $400-500 to avoid excessive liability risk ................

What would some of those situations be?

This job is nothing but excessive liability & risk for small potatoes; why walk away?

I could see myself walking if, for example:

1) The property is a hangout for drug dealers who are aggressive displeased with our presence and client is oblivious, unconcerned or confrontational.

2) I get a strong feeling the client mentally unstable.

3) The property appears unsafe to enter, and/or the client aggressively demands that I take unreasonable risks.

I've been on the wrong end of mob violence , been confronted a mentally ill individual with their finger on a trigger, and gone off a second story roof.

That was all 35 or more years ago - but these sorts of things did eventually begin to get my attention, and I've seriously considered walking away from an inspection for all three of the reasons above.

I've not done so yet, but in none of these cases is my peace of mind - let alone my neck - worth an inspection fee.

Michael,

Those are good reasons. Sorry about your experiences. I was married to a woman whose uncle is now in prison for whacking his partner, money laundering, taking part in an armored car heist, and cocaine dealing. He was a high falootin' attorney for several NY 'bosses' back in the day. (Oh, and he was her divorce attorney.)But as you say, you haven't needed to walk away yet - so it is rare thank God.

One of the lessons from my current reading, Zen Golf is to think outside the box. Your reasons are outside the box of most folk, but they certainly are valid reasons. Wish they weren't.

This is du guy - Tony

Yes, those are good reasons. They all involve high risk for personal injury.

Most folks aren't ever going to get the stuff we get though.

I did go through a crack house w/an armed off duty cop; his name was "Tiny", and he was everything the opposite of his name. That was a long time ago, when I was more cowboy than I am now.

Originally posted by Les

Sounds like that Gary R have a nice Christmas, a very nice Christmas. I opted for a gallon of Mazola and mine was not so good!

I understand what the Jo Malone products are for. (Admittedly, I did have to Google it.)

And, generally, I know what Mazola is for. But in this case, I'm afraid to ask...

Yeah, it's a knockout. Basil, Lime, Mandarin. Get her the Verbenas or the one w/the name that ends in "provence". It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Mazola and Les are a match made in heaven. What's surprising, is I met his wife, and she seems completely sane. Maybe it's the Mazola, maybe it's.........