Minimum Support Requirements for Handrails

Hello everyone and Merry Christmas!!

This is my first post , but I have been an active learner of this forum for a year and a half.

Is anyone aware of a requirement for handrail support? During an inspection yesterday on a 2 year old comtemporary home, there was a handrail spanning 14 steps that was only secured to the top and bottom newell posts with one fastener each. Ironically there was only ~3/8" deflection to the railing. Guess I would have expected to see a center support for that great of a run.It just did not seem right. Any insight would be appreciated...

Originally posted by Brian E. Connelly

Hello everyone and Merry Christmas!!

This is my first post , but I have been an active learner of this forum for a year and a half.

Is anyone aware of a requirement for handrail support? During an inspection yesterday on a 2 year old comtemporary home, there was a handrail spanning 14 steps that was only secured to the top and bottom newell posts with one fastener each. Ironically there was only ~3/8" deflection to the railing. Guess I would have expected to see a center support for that great of a run.It just did not seem right. Any insight would be appreciated...

It's a performance-based requirement. The handrail has to be able to support a 200# load in any direction (R301.5) without excessive deflection (L/240 per R301.7). How long is the rail and how much did you have to push on it to get it to move 3/8"?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Welcome to the board, Brian!

I know Brian.

He's helpful, interested and interesting. He's newer, but has a great attitude, a natural learning instinct and a highly technical background. He's focused on ethics and accuracy. Everything adds up to the fact that he's on his way to being one of the best.

http://www.stairways.org/pdf/2003%20Sta ... SCREEN.pdf