I Wonder Whether This Builder is Delusional

vanamber

I have inspected a new home that the builder insulated the complete underside of the roof with foam and there are no vents in the roof or the overhang. He has the 2nd floor HVAC partioned off and the balance of the space is unfinished but the floor has plywood over it. He foamed the interior basement concrete walls as well and has finished this space.

The 1st and 2nd floor exterior walls are 2"x 6" metal studs with standard batt insulation.

He thinks he will cut his energy bills by 50%

Jack Lofstrom

Inspections Plus

630-632-4569

Glenview IL

He foamed the interior basement concrete walls as well and has finished this space.

He may want to keep an open eye for frost upheaval on those basement walls. I have been doing some research on this very thing for a rebuild that I am working on and the only guarantee that I have found that it won’t happen is if you can prevent moisture from getting against the foundation via the soil. All information say’s insulate the outside if it’s cost effective or inside (above) the frost line.

If anyone has info… stating otherwise please inform me.

Craig