cooktop igniters

I have seen different gas stoves with electronic igniters work in different ways. On one, only the igniter for the burner you are trying to light will arc. On another, no matter which burner you were trying to light, all four of the igniters were arcing.

Is it safe to assume that both are correct and it is just a matter of how they are made? What are specific reasons why either would be made the way they are?

I have seen them all sorts of ways. Carl is right. Some knobs will release gas when rotated 45degrees and at 60degrees arc, others are various combinations of that. I never really cared, but then again I don't see inspections as saving Johnny's life.

Originally posted by AHI

Is it safe to assume that both are correct and it is just a matter of how they are made?

Yes. I own both types. Different mfg's. do it different ways, although the there seems to be a shift toward the "all spark" type, as they seem to predominate in the appliances I see.

If I'm not mistaken the all spark was a new industry safety standard that was started back in 2004. In my old home we had a WOLF brand stove that sparked all burners if only one was turned on. I called the company to see if this was the way it should operate and they told me that it was a new safety standard for gas stove manufacturers.