Gary,

Interesting reading. The computer seems incredible. I hope the review is accurate. I tend to be skeptical because I know someone that had a newly designed product and he "Arranged" for positive reviews to be posted on the internet (The old "Pay to Play" game).

The story reminds me of the engine that my father told me was developed many years ago. The miracle engine ran efficiently on tap water and the major oil companies bought the patent to prevent it from ruining their profits.

Time will tell...[:-thumbd][:-thumbu]

Oh, I know exactly what you mean - happens all the time, but this is quite credible. Fresno's Unified School district already purchased 1000 of them (but they put Windows on it, which shot the cost up to about $465 per.)

Since the intel pullout of the OLPC program, the Eee may become important for several reasons. Someone has even managed to squeeze Vista onto the Eee.[:-thumbd] More here.

Hi,

It still might be a little bit high-priced for the OLPC program though. The XO has been a pretty cool deal for kids in developing countries - especially with the deal where "sponsors" can buy two computers and send one, or even both computers, to kids in developing countries for only about $400 total. A while back, Jimmy Morrison and I were discussing ways that we here at TIJ could do that for the kids he sponsors in Africa.

For anyone that doubts how effective such programs can be, read this.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Small + cheap PCs are not possible when Microsoft enters the picture. No problem for American$, but China, Russia, Africa and much of India could turn this around if they become comfortable with Linux. But they won't because they rightfully want to be part of the economic world. That is why they learn English afterall. ¿Qué pasa?

I have no real idea, but don't you think this is a generational thing?

Isn't the next generational group in line pretty much moving sideways around Microsquash?

Aren't these same countries (sort of) maneuvering to get out from under the MS thumb?

Every kid I know uses the online Google stuff, the architecture folks I know all use SketchUp as the standard (casual) communication platform, etc.

I'm not proposing a sonic boom, but I think ASUS is on track to the future. They already make a huge amount of everything for everyone else. Like Walgreens marketing their own mouthwash instead of Listerine, it's a matter of distribution channels, not product exclusivity.

In that vein, when do you think Dell/Microsquash/Intel will buy ASUS?

Damned good points Kurt - and I hope you are correct.

Perhaps it's that pessimist/optimist thing again.

In support of the optimistic view:

ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN

Microsoft is a very new company. Windows 3 (first version with a graphical interface) was released half-way through 1990 and MS didn't enter the business world until '93.

In 1984, I was a systems programmer with IBM (Endicott, NY). I thought I was set for life! At that time, IBM was it. IBM grew each year the size of its nearest competitor - Digital Equipment Corp. (They made sure to tell the new employees that tidbit.) Apple was considered a possible threat when it released Lisa!

So, we have no idea what is coming. The next generation's Microsoft may be some little-known company today. ASUS? Perhaps, but they are a hardware company. The real power is on the software side.

Some countries - particularly Russia - are shunning Microsoft. They are trying to be successful with a Linux variant.

There is great potential in effective use of multiple processors. That is today's challenge and nobody is doing a great job of handling it. Perhaps a powerful new multiprocessor technology is about to sprout in someone's garage today. They would have the advantage of starting from scratch. It's a big hurdle to keep everything working in an existing OS as it moves toward multiprocessing (NOT multitasking.)

In support of the pessimistic view:

HERE'S WHAT'S HAPPENING NOW

Microsoft has entrenched itself in the economy. Most businesses traded their Sun workstations for "Wintel" PCs several years ago.

On the Internet, the growth of Microsoft's ASP.NET is steadily increasing - in spite of the fact that Microsoft servers cost more than Apache servers.

Microsoft has done a decent job of internationalizing its OS and its applications. That is no small task and it is attractive to those whose language is not English.

Lo que será, será.

Originally posted by ozofprev

Microsoft is a very new company. Windows 3 (first version with a graphical interface) was released half-way through 1990 and MS didn't enter the business world until '93.

Ouch,

That's a painful memory. In 1989, I was in the Q course at Ft. Bragg when my roommate tried to get me interested in investing in a company. My response was, "Invest? I can't keep a nickel in my pocket. Why the hell would I want to invest when I understand jack about finances." He told me it was a sure thing, that he'd gone to high school with the dude who's company he was going to sink his $70,000 inheritence into. He suggested I start small - only $1,000 and see how it goes. "Oh yeah?" I asked, "What does his company do?" "They make software," he responded. I said, "Computers? Ain't no way. I'm not doing anything with computers. I bought my kid one of those Commadore thingies and we tried forever to figure that crap out. It's never going to amount to squat for consumer use. Forget it." "It's your loss," he said.

The company was Microsoft and his buddy was Bill Gates. I saw him in the spring of 1994 in Korea at the PX in Yongsan. He was still in the Army. "So, hey hotshot," I began, "What are you still doing in the Army? I thought you were gonna get rich." His response: "I did. I sunk all $70,000 into that company and since then the stock has split about 6 times and I'm set for life. I'm still in the army because I love what I do. Where else can I get paid to go to foreign countries and teach folks how to blow shit up? You were an idiot, Mike, you should have listened to me. I toldja I wouldn't let you down."

I didn't know what it meant for a stock to "split" but there was no doubt in my mind with the way he said it that I should have listened to my friend instead of closing my mind to his idea. I sorta kinda put my tail between my legs and slunk off.

Jeez, if they'd only invent a time machine so that I could go back to that moment knowing what I know now.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Back in my college years(1967), my finance professor whispered to us "watch Intel". 40 years ago computers were those big things in the basement of the university. Brings to mind "old dog--new tricks"

Wish I knew then what I know now. Would not have to listen to Reeeeltors or well meaning parents of my clients. They are all card carrying DIYers and they have Bob Villa on speed dial.

Go Pats [:-banghea[:-banghea